𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐩𝐚𝐧𝐢𝐬𝐡 𝐬𝐨𝐚𝐩 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐚

[ ii

[ ii. the one with the spanish soap opera ]

september 24th, 1994

☕☕☕

SURPRISINGLY ENOUGH, SABRINA WAS able to sneak in a two-hour power nap in the comfort of her own bedroom before the entirety of her household came barging back into the apartment, disrupting any peace that she had once felt.

After things had settled down at Central Perk, Sabrina and the gang had opted to leave Monica and Rachel to gather their bearings in private. Sabrina had not complained one bit, eager to get some rest. But now, abruptly pulled wide awake with the incessant ramblings of her young niece in her ear, Sabrina was a bit more compelled to start complaining again.

"Gigi," Sabrina groaned, sitting up slowly in her bed. Across the room, little Gabriela Lance was knelt down over a small chest of toys. "What are you doing? Tía's sleeping."

"No, you're not," Gabriela replied, not missing a beat. Even at only seven years old, the girl held more sass than Sabrina and her older sister combined. "Silly goose."

"I was," Sabrina grumbled, swinging her legs over the side of the bed. Sunlight was still spilling into the small bedroom from between the slants in the blinds, but the clock on her bedside table gathered that it was now closer to evening than afternoon. "Did you have a good day?" She wondered, pulling her ratted hair back into a knot at the base of her neck.

"Yeah," Gabriela confirmed with an enthusiastic nod of her head. The movement nearly made the purple tiara atop of her small head fall, but the tiny girl quickly readjusted her crown as if nothing had happened. "Until baby Rafa threw up on Mama and we had to go home."

Sabrina wrinkled her nose. "Oof, that's no fun."

"It was really gross," Gabriela agreed, her own expression twisted with distaste. Finally, Gabriela seemed to find the toy she was looking for: a large truck. She then turned to glance back at Sabrina with a soft, pointed look. "Do you want to play with me?" She wondered.

Sabrina's stomach twisted uncomfortably at the question and her hands awkwardly curled inwards. She was not exactly in the mood to play with trucks, given that she had just woken up, but more than anything she hated turning Gabriela down. "Maybe in a little bit," She answered, finally standing up. Her knees crackled, something they should not have been doing when she was still so young, and she crossed over to her dresser to replace her pajama tank-top for a more loose-fitting crewneck. "I want to get a bite to eat first and check in on something."

Gabriela's face dropped, but she nodded her head in understanding. "Okay."

Sabrina squeezed the seven-year-old's chubby cheek as she walked towards the door. "I love you, G," She soothed.

"Love you, Tía."

With the door left hanging open behind her, Sabrina made her way down the short, cramped hallway—stepping over multiple toys as she did so—and shuffled into the dimly lit kitchen. Her older sister, Adrienne, had her back to Sabrina, but with motherhood it seemed as if she had acquired a seventh sense. "Did Gabriela wake you?" She wondered, her attention down towards the dishes she was currently washing.