𝐯𝐢𝐢. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐩𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐥𝐞

[ vii

[ vii. the one with the sprained ankle ]

october 15th, 1994

☕☕☕

"OW, OW, OW, CAREFUL, Joey!"

"Here, move out of the way, Joey! You're going to make her ankle worse!"

"I've got it, Rach! Just back off!"

"Then let her off your back! You're not helping!"

"Are you sure we shouldn't take you to the hospital?"

"No, Ross! Does it look like I can afford a hospital?!"

"Maybe we should just leave her at a fire station. I've heard that works."

"Oh, shut up, Chandler."

Sabrina Munoz let a small hiss of pain pass between her quivering, twisted lips and she anxiously tightened her hold on Joey Tribbiani's broad shoulders when he hoisted her higher onto his back. His hands were wrapped carefully around her bare legs, trying to hold them as stiffly against his sides as he could, but there was only so much he could do against a painful, flopping ankle as the group of five friends navigated their way down the crowded streets of uptown Manhattan.

Why was Sabrina currently on Joey's back, one might ask? Well, Sabrina might insist that it had to do with a gruesome fight on the ball field with an opposing player.

(But the truth?)

The truth was that Sabrina lost against a mound of dirt, a dip in the ground, and an unstable third base.

Of course, it was just her luck that she was the only one that managed to get hurt. Sabrina was, after all, the only one who had to walk several blocks to get to and from work each day. And she was, after all, the only one who had to climb five flights of stairs every day just to get to her own bed. Why dare the universe attempt to make her life any easier when it was destined to throw chaos every which direction that she turned?

"Careful, Joe!" Rachel exclaimed suddenly. She was standing in front of Joey and Sabrina, practically making a path for the Italian to follow as they made their way back to the coffeehouse. On either side of them walked Ross and Chandler, both which were carrying the remaining baseball gear and a long-since melted icepack.

"Relax, I've got it," Joey retorted. He then squeezed tighter to Sabrina's left thigh, drawing her attention to him as he tilted his head sideways to look back at her. "You feelin' okay, Brina?"

Sabrina grabbed the tips of his ears and guided his face forward again. "Keep your eyes on the road, Tribbiani," She instructed.

"Here, just let me carry her," Ross offered. "I'm stron—"

"Don't you dare finish that sentence, Geller," Joey snipped back.

Sabrina huffed another tight exhale and tried not to focus too gravely on the throbbing that pulsed through her right ankle. When they had examined her ankle when she first fell it had not started to bruise yet, but she could almost guarantee now that her ankle did not look as pretty anymore. She could feel it practically pushing outwards and molding into her sneaker as it swelled. To add to her agony, Sabrina was now wishing that she had decided to wear pants rather than shorts. Because of her ugly fall, her legs were scuffed up and bandaged now, too.