Whenever she's around

Two months later...

Davina

To say that I was exhausted was an understatement. I've been working myself to the bone for the past two months trying to figure out how I was going to get the restaurant back in shape. Added to that, I've still got school and work at the estate piling up on my plate.

My routine consisted of working at the estate from 5am to 4pm. Classes straight after, and finally closing the restaurant at 11pm. I've been a busy woman, but it's what I signed up for so I really can't complain.

After weeks of stressing and managing the restaurant, things were finally starting to look up. Business has picked up quite a lot since I made some drastic changes to the decor, menu, and I did some major social media marketing for the place.

Soon I'll be able to quit working at the estate, and focus fully on my craft. Just thinking of everything coming together made me so excited.

I was ready to finally start pursuing my dream of opening up my own place. But every time I think about leaving the estate, a part of me doesn't want to. And I know that small little part has to do with Janet.

Janet has been in London for the past two months taking care of some important business. I haven't spoken to her at all in the time she's been away.

She didn't even tell me goodbye, or tell me she was going away for so long. I know that she doesn't owe me any of that, but it still would've been nice to know she at least cared.

Things between us have been at a stand still since she left. It's all really confusing. One moment she's kissing me and telling me she wants to get to know me, and the next she's just gone.

I want to be angry with her but what gives me that right? She's not my girlfriend, she has no obligation to me whatsoever so why do I feel so abandoned?
I find myself thinking of her a lot these days. It's like the longer I'm away from her the more consumed I become. Where is she? What is she doing? Is she safe? Happy? Does she think of me?

How pathetic Davina!

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't even realize I had made my way to her room. I knocked on the door, but I knew she wasn't in there.

The inviting mixture of Jasmine and vanilla washed over me as soon as I opened the door. The sweet aroma was almost intoxicating, everything smelled like her.

The large room consisted of mostly black decor save for a few red accents here and there. A few paintings placed precisely around the room, and everything was organized meticulously. This space was elegant, and classy just like her.

I started to fold her red silk sheets so that I could wash them. I suddenly caught whiff of her in them and immediately felt an ache in my chest. I miss her. Why do I miss her?

I just stood there with my eyes closed, holding the sheets not wanting to move a muscle. I probably looked like a love sick fool standing here like this. But I didn't care, for that moment I felt close to her and that's all that mattered to me.

I stood there for a minute longer until I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and goosebumps formed all over my arms.

"Did you miss me?" She whispered softly behind my ear.

I didn't jump or get scared, oddly I knew it was her. I always got the same feeling whenever she was around me. It was the same when I first met her, and the same in the garden and at the night club. It wasn't until recently that I had realized the same thing would happen to my body quite often, but only when she was there. Strange.

I tried to hide my smile. "Maybe"

I dropped the sheets and turned around giving her a tight hug, stepping back to get a good a look at her. She changed her hair color to a light brown with a few highlights. It made her complexion pop, making her glow in a way. She didn't have any makeup on but still she was just as beautiful without it. I stood there searching her face to find anymore differences. I relaxed a bit when I saw that her eyes and her smile still held that sense of familiarity.

"Good" she said blushing.

"How was your trip?" I asked, trying my best to sound indifferent. She sighed heavily and shook her head.

"Stressful, tiring, overall frustrating." She confessed. It was then that I noticed her puffy red eyes, and slightly red nose. Was she crying?

"I'm sorry to hear that." I told her. I wonder what kind of trip it was. And why was it so horrible? I wanted to ask but she was probably tired and didn't need me in her space disrupting her peace. It was already three in the afternoon and I would be leaving soon to go home anyways.

"You're probably tired, I'll let you get some rest. Do you need anything? Are you hungry? I can make you anything you'd like" I rambled on like a nervous idiot. While she just giggled and shook her head.

"You're sweet, but no thank you I'm just going to take a nap."

I nodded my head turning for the door to leave.

"Davina?" She called

I turned back around to look at her. "C-can you, uh, can you stay with me for a moment until I fall asleep?" She asked, tugging on her ear. Is she nervous?

I could sense something was off with her, she seemed so drained. What happened on that trip? I felt the curiosity tugging at me, but I decided to just be here for her in this moment and not push it.

"Yeah, of course."

She gave me a toothless smile and took her shoes and jacket off getting underneath her covers. She adjusted her pillows and got comfortable stopping to look at me. I was still standing there in the same spot, playing with my fingers unsure of what I was supposed to do.

She patted the spot next to her on the bed "come here."

I took my shoes and apron off and got into the bed with her leaning my back against the bed frame in a sitting position. I felt so awkward just sitting there, not sure if I should say something or just let her be.

"Janet?" I called.

"Mmhm?" She responded half asleep.

"Are you alright?"

She didn't answer right away, just shifted her head to lay on my lap, clinging to my leg like a child. Why was she acting so strange?

"Shh, I just need you right now." she said it so quietly that I almost didn't hear her. I decided to just leave it be and ask her about everything later and hopefully she'd open up to me about it. For now I just played with her hair and hummed softly while she dozed off.

I couldn't help but admire her as she slept, she looked so cute cuddled up into my lap. Not looking a day over 25. In this state she seemed so vulnerable and for first time I finally saw her. I saw her not as Miss Jackson the superstar but Janet as a woman, just like how I was a woman. In this fleeting moment I really saw her, and I didn't feel as nervous as I usually was around her. I was somehow so convinced before that she wasn't even a real person. I know it sounds ridiculous but she was just so perfect in my eyes that I failed to see her for what she truly was.

Human.

I felt my eyes get heavier so I shifted my body resting my head on my fist, trying not to wake Janet. I kissed her cheek before I closed my eyes deciding to rest for a short minute.

____________________________________

Howd you liked this chapter? I know it was a little short but I promise I made up for it in the next chapter!