YELLOW SUBMARINE

I woke up today thinking of how to fit Stuart in the Yellow Submarine universe.

Basically I want Colorful McSutcliffe, leave me alone.

Considering Stu died before he ever got hit by the psychedelia wave, I don't even know what he'd look like. The only pictures available of him are all black and white, we don't even know what colors he usually wore, but he seemingly stuck to dark jackets and pants, so...

I'm considering making him sort of separated from the rest of Pepperland.

Like, he's a painter, a chaotic one at that, but his whole ensemble and appearance is somber and grey. Maybe he's sort of like the Meanies, making the world around him colorless, but he doesn't want to? So he paints to give back the color he takes, but has never been able to color himself?

Considering he was also sort of an existentialist, I think he'd be the one person to behave, let's say, 'normally' in Pepperland. And others don't understand that. He's serious, quiet, doesn't make puns or stops to smell the flowers.

He just paints and paints all day, sometimes plays bass to feel less excluded, and constantly questions himself over the inexistent logic of everything. What have we come to this land for? What is our purpose in life? No one seems to worry or care about the answers of those questions except for himself.

He's a sad little guy, who tries to make the world around him a little less sad with limited success.

I suppose he wasn't native to Pepperland? Like the Beatles, he was somehow brought upon it, maybe took a wrong turn at the Mersey and ended up across the Sea Of Green? But unlike them, he was one of the liverpudlians stuck on an endless loop of actions, all grey scaled and secretly sad, and the colorful new land around him couldn't fix that? So people started avoiding him and now he lives in seclusion by himself?

The Meanies wouldn't want him, he still likes music and colors with more than just blue. The Pepperland citizens don't like his attitude, some are even scared of the way he sucks up color and life from everything, even if he tries to restore it.

So, I guess he'd end up leaving Pepperland due to how rejected he feels. Maybe he hides between the Foothills of the Headlines, maybe he's the one painting those thoughts on their heads. The Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds sequence looked very chaotic painter-ish, in a beautiful way. Maybe he did it for John, without approaching him or any of them, just painting away to the beat of the music.

So, anyways. That's Stuart in YS.

How does he meet the lads? They clearly don't stay, there's that corny scene in the very end with their IRL selves talking about gifts they brought. ((Meta question: if George took the motor, how did the Submarine return to Pepperland? Or they went back some other way? Through Ringo's half hole, mayhaps?))

So, maybe they go back visiting from time to time? Maybe they take the bus the next time? ((Me just trying to smosh in some Magical Mystery Tour references in there. It just seems fitting, MMT is just as psychedelic if not more than YS)).

Maybe they get lost again, and when trying to find the pepper to get blown towards the Sea of Holes, they meet Stu? And he says he remembers them, heard their music all across the Sea and finds it wonderfully inspiring, shows them some of his paintings, and John is immediately fascinated, so are George and Ringo. Paul not so much. He finds rather odd his grayscale attire, considering he's a painter, and honestly also dislikes that he's got John's full attention.

The lads invite him to come to Pepperland with them but he declines quite soundly. Paul thinks it's weird, the rest just accept it, and onwards they continue.