Prologue

'I write because writing is an escape from a world I once loved.'

~JRP

Jasmine always loved camping. It was her favourite thing in the entire world. She and her dad would go out into the woods, set up their camp in her favourite spot, and explore the woods. They would meet a lot of animals. From squirrels to rabbits to raccoons and sometimes even deers.

She didn't like it when her Daddy killed the animals, so they never hurt them. Normally when her Uncle Ale wasn't around — which he usually was.

She didn't like her Uncle. He killed the animals and forced her to play 'wolf bunny.' She hated the game, but when Daddy wasn't around, he would force her to play with him. He was always mean to her when Daddy wasn't looking.

A fine Saturday morning, Jasmine and her father went on their usual weekend camping trip. They got their camping gear loaded into the car and got ready for the most fun weekend ever.

Uncle Ale couldn't be around because he lived in another town. He had called Jasmine's Dad the previous night and apologized. Jasmine had a hard time holding in a squeal when Daddy told her.

"Jaz, come help me with the tent!" her father yelled. She had stayed back to look for her notepad, which she found lying around in the backseat.

She followed his voice into the woods. It didn't scare her anymore; the woods were her second home now. "Keep that book aside!" he said. She frowned but did as told.

Writing was her second favourite thing in the world. She always brought a notepad to their camping trips in case she got an idea.

"What do you want me to do?" she asked, playing absentmindedly with her chocolate brown hair. Her hair was like her Daddy's. She looked like him except for her eyes—she had grey eyes and his were brown. Daddy told her her eyes were like her Mom's.

When she asked where Mommy was, he pointed at the grey clouds. "Right there," he said. From then on, she loved the clouds and rain.

"I'm done setting up the tent. But you can find rocks and sticks to set up the fire," he said. Jaz nodded and finished it in no time. 

She started dancing around and chasing the wild bunnies. She was like the wind — carefree and everywhere. "Jaz!" Her father gave her a warning glance. She giggled because Daddy would join her. He always did.

They danced around, making the music up as they went. Her laugh filled the woods as Daddy chased her. Hide and seek was another one of their traditions. Daddy always told her her laughter would cure all the sadness in the world. So she laughed and squealed and jumped around.

When he caught her for the third time, she faked a frown. "Why are you sad, honey?" he asked, holding her tightly in his arms. He was the strongest and prettiest person she knew. He had brown curly hair with a trimmed beard and big, strong muscles.

"Because you keep catching me, Daddy!" she pouted. "Next time we play I'm not going to let you catch me," she said, determined.

"Now, that's my little princess." He grinned and they high-fived before she ran to hide again. He had the widest grin ever with twinkling brown eyes completing the look. He started counting.

"I see! You're having fun without me," Uncle Ale said, interrupting their game and stepping out behind some oak trees. He looked like Daddy. The only difference was he had black hair and a bushy beard. He was also a lot bigger than Daddy.

Jasmine frowned, coming out from her hiding spot. She forced her lips into a smile when they made eye contact.

"Ale, I thought you couldn't make it." Her father grinned, hugging his brother.