26

'The best memories are the ones you pray never to forget.'

~JRP

Lunch was the one period Hayden had been dreading since she came to school. It meant she would have to meet the exact people she was avoiding.

During her classes preceding the lunch period, she would find a seat at the extreme back of the class and settle in, her hoodie covering her perfectly. She didn't need anyone recognizing her.

She had after all skipped school because of such.

She had been glad to share the only class that took attendance with Wren, who had done nothing but look at her. She had seen the girl's messages the previous day asking her why she didn't attend school, and if anything was wrong. She chickened out and didn't reply.

The rest of her classes went by quickly until lunch.

She could always skip it, but she couldn't exactly afford to. Her breakfast had been a cup of tea and nothing more while her dinner was, but of course, a cup of noodles. Needless to say, she thought of Calvin a lot while eating, and the tons of messages he had left her.

She had been dying to see him, but she didn't know if she could after she had embarrassed herself in front of everyone, and fought with his best friend.

No one even bothered to look at her when she entered the cafeteria. She was after all non-existent. She averted her eyes from where she normally sat. Wren was sitting there and following her every look.

After following the lunch line and collecting her usual order, she wondered where she would sit. She finally found a place at the other far end of the cafeteria and sat on the floor, like she used to.

She hopefully prayed they wouldn't find her there.

A minute didn't even pass after Hayden had sat down when Calvin and Mason entered. As usual, Calvin was at the forefront, followed by Mason who was scrolling through his phone.

Like everyone else in the vast hall, Hayden's eyes followed them till they found their seat. They went to their table, and Hayden couldn't help but wonder how she looked. She probably looked all sad sitting by herself. Hayden wanted to join them but refrained from such. She had embarrassed herself. They probably didn't want to associate herself with her.

Hayden looked down when she saw Calvin's eyes sweeping the place. She knew he was looking for her.

And so wasn't quite surprised when the chair next to her was pulled and occupied.

Everyone was still, watching as their 'golden boy' sat down next to her. She could practically hear the rumours that had been spreading since the gang started sitting with her, resurfacing again.

"Hey, you," Calvin said, picking up a fry and popping it in his mouth.

Hayden didn't reply but continued eating her food rather stiffly, reminding herself to breathe and swallow.

"Why weren't you at school yesterday?" he asked.

She ignored him. What did he want from her?

"Why didn't you reply to any of my messages?"

Silence.

"Okay, why are you ignoring me?" he asked, the corner of his mouth twitching slightly. He grabbed another piece of fry.

Hayden wondered why he was annoying her? What did he want to gain? She had had enough of him and his friends and wanted to stay as far away from them as possible. They weren't good for her health.