15

'The clouds cried with her, and when the time comes, the stars will shine with her.'
~JRP

As promised, Hayden's classmates were waiting for her in the seat they usually sat by the window. Loud chatters and food were shared as she sat down and joined them. Their usual waitress, Lyra, served them and for once Hayden was served too. She got to choose from the menu as a regular customer, instead of an employee. And she had whatever she wanted.

Dinner was on Mason that night, they had said. Wren also told her to get whatever she wanted no matter how expensive — she didn't mean it as an insult. His father was a top military officer and he was loaded.

It was fun. Although she didn't participate much in their conversations, she at least enjoyed the company. Once in a while, she tended to miss the wonderful chatters associated with people.

"My stomach is so full, I can barely move," Wren said, a lazy grin on her face as she popped yet another slice of pie in her mouth. One would hardly think she was full.

"I can't agree more," Hayden said, but she wasn't eating anything anymore. She hadn't eaten such a large amount of food — pastries — in a long while.

Hayden sighed, then breathed, before standing up. "I need to go," she said. She wanted to get some writing done and get some much-needed sleep. She hadn't taken her pill, and if she didn't sleep — if she would be able to, that was — the cravings would come back and that was something no one wanted.

Besides, she had an early morning appointment with Dr. Francis the next morning before school. If she wanted to at least look decent and pay attention in class, she would have to go.

"I'll walk you home," Calvin offered his kind eyes swirling with emotions. "It's late, I think we should all go home." He looked at the others. "I can go home after I see her off."

"If it's not that far, we'll all walk home with you," Wren said, a smile on her face. Hayden wanted to decline the offer because she was already walking with Lyra, but the two weren't taking no for an answer.

"Sure," Mason mumbled under his breath after being glaring at by his girlfriend.

"All right, let's go," Wren said, beaming, then stopped abruptly. "Wait, do you have any food at home?" Hayden laughed a low inaudible laugh. It bubbled inside her throat and it felt great. She should do it more often.

"You just finished eating, babe," Mason said, shaking his blonde head.

"What? Don't you love food, too?" She gave him an innocent look.

Should I ask Lyra?

Hayden excused herself. She went to the back and found Lyra all ready to go home. She had removed that mucky apron and was sporting a hockey shirt over a long shirt and a p-cap. The freckled blonde grinned at her. "You ready to go?" she asked and Hayden nodded.

She played with the edge of her shirt for a second before speaking up. "Uh, about that," she sighed. "The guys want to walk with us," Hayden whispered as she waited for the angry talk to come. It didn't, instead, Lyra grinned again.

"That would be wonderful. Let's not keep them waiting," she said, hurrying up.

True to that, they found them outside waiting for them in the chilly night. Hayden hugged herself tightly as she approached them.

Calvin was smiling lopsidedly at her. While Wren was saying something animatedly to her boyfriend amidst adjusting her glasses; and Mason was pretending to look interested while sorting a bored look on his face. Hayden smiled. The way they stood pretty much summed up their personalities. What she'd known so far proved so.