18

'If wishes actually came true, she wouldn't have given up on life.'
~JRP

Autumn was flying by fast, and winter was soon approaching. The picturesque town of Greenside would soon be filled with snow, making it look like a town in one of those snow globes. Hayden was literally counting the days till winter break. That was one good thing about the season; she could get off school for some days.

Things were a little difficult for her what with her teachers giving her loads of assignments, the shop getting more customers (meaning she would have to work for more hours), and keeping up with Calvin and their project.

She shivered as she walked down the street to get to her apartment. Another thing she had to worry about was her lack of winter clothes. She didn't exactly have the time to pack everything when she was planning her little escapade. Not that she had many clothes to begin with, but they still were better than paying a shitload of money for new ones.

The problem was she didn't have any money to spare. At seventeen, she already had to pay for her bills, food, and college if she wanted to fulfil her dreams. She didn't want to depend on student funds and be in debt for the rest of her already miserable life. Though, she knew the money she got from the pastry shop wouldn't cut it.

Assuming she didn't have school, she could work for more hours, or even find another job to at least to get the money rolling. But she had assignments and a project. Unlike her spoiled classmates who were probably going to some vacation in a private island, she planned to work her ass off to get some more money — for college and anything other than noodle cups.

Hayden's hands shook as she quickly opened the door. The apartment was crappy, but it still got the heating system working. She revelled at the hot air as she turned on the lights in the living room, kitchen, and her room. She threw her jacket on the bed and dropped her bag by the desk before leaving to find some food.

There was nothing she wanted to do like sleep. But she needed to get something to eat first. She grabbed a water bottle from the fridge and twisted it open.

Lately, she had been getting tired after doing some mundane stuff. And if she didn't rest, she often got dizzy. She blamed it first on the stress, then on her pills, and even blamed herself for no longer taking Dr. Francis's pills. His pills made her nauseous, irritated, and a lot more tired. Though she hadn't told him she no longer took them.

She popped some five-minute macaroni and cheese in the microwave and stared at the clock. Hayden craved homemade food, but she neither had the energy nor the ingredients for those. This would have to do. Food came last in her list of bills and college.

The macaroni and cheese weren't half as bad as she thought they would be, although they didn't even come close to being as good as the noodle cup. Granted it was good, but eating the same thing was bound to get tiring.

Hayden threw her plate in the sink. She would wash it tomorrow before she leaves for school. They couldn't afford a dishwasher, so they were stuck with the old reliable washing with soap and water. Lyra could scold her all she could for leaving her plate unwashed, but there was nothing that would stop her from jumping in bed and enjoying six hours of sleep before reality kicked in.

***

Hayden groaned as she tried to get up from her bed. It was getting harder and harder to leave her bed with each passing day. It was like she was always tired and in need of rest. But that explained every teenager's life.

Hayden could hear Lyra smacking her gum from the kitchen while she brushed her teeth. The girl always had some sort of gum in her mouth and smacked it so loud, the whole building could hear. Hayden had half a thought to go out there and tell her to stop smacking the gum lest the cat-lady (yes, they do exist and are very nosy) from the floor above them comes knocking. But she decided against it.