chapter one

There was a bit of spring in Thomas's step as he ambled down the stairs to the kitchen where three of the maids were bustling about.

"Good morning everyone," Thomas said. And the three maids, looked haggard but managed an easy smile at the sight of him.

The kitchen was covered in brick walls turned black over the fireplace from the soot of previous fires. Blackened pots and pans hung on nails along the walls over the fire as well as an assortment of ladles and spatulas.

"Good morning," they each said. Thomas rung an arm around the nearest maid and kissed her plump cheek.

"Today is a beautiful day," he said. The two other maids were busy scrubbing the table, adding a tang of vinegar and rosemary to the air.

"Someone's ready to see Victoria again," one of the maids mumbled.

"Ready? I'm about ready to burst into a million pieces," Thomas said, extending his arms and walking backward, nearly into the approaching Mrs. Merywether. Now crisply 19, Thomas had the look of a man with still the face of a boy.

"Thomas!" Mrs. Merywether said. He turned to face her, eying the back door and considering running out of it. Before he could he was struck by a wrinkled sharp-fingered hand. It was a nice hello compared to the kicks and punches he normally got.

"What took you so long?" she huffed, potato shaped head turning purple with anger.

"What can I do for you, your greatness?" he asked, with a bow. This earned him another slap, one he dodged, spinning out of the way.

"You vile piece of scum. If my husband hadn't decided to keep you, I would've thrown you into the ocean!" she yelled with a fist in the air, "Tuck your shirt in and get started on the floor. Tonight we're having the neighbors over for dinner."

It seemed he wasn't the only one anticipating Victoria's return.

"Why?" he groaned, leaning onto the kitchen counter, "They're always over. They know how dirty this house is."

"Why you - " Mrs. Merywether said and chased after him with a closed fist. He ran around the table in the center of the kitchen to avoid her.

"Come here, you mangy little mutt!"

Thomas turned towards the door and nearly ran right into Edward. Thomas froze. Edward was older and bigger than he. Not to mention taller. The man was a giant.

"Causing trouble again, eh?" he said and grabbed a chunk of Thomas's hair, practically lifting him off of the ground.

"Ow!" Thomas howled and Edward threw him onto the floor. The maids all watched with horror. Thomas felt pain vibrate across his back. Edward shoved his foot over his neck and stomped into it. Thomas couldn't breathe and he struggled to move but he was too strong. He could kill him right there and no one would care. He could crush the bones in his neck and leave him there broken and bleeding. There'd been other times when Edward had done things to him he thought he'd never recover from.

"I have an idea. Why don't you listen when mother tells you to do things?" he asked. His black squinty eyes were emotionless. Thomas wondered if he'd ever remove his foot from his neck. His head started to feel faint. His body felt weak. He slowly felt himself drifting as throbs of desperate pants for air came up his throat.

"Let him go," Mrs. Merywether said and Edward removed his foot.

"We need him today, you can kill him tomorrow," she said. Each of the maids took a step towards him to help as he gasped and sputtered for breath like a grounded fish, sucking each sweet breath in.