3.1

"What time do you think you could drop me off at my own apartment?" I asked Gabe from where I was laying on top of him. I was using an arm to prop myself up so that I would be able to see him more clearly. 

"Do you have to go back? You weren't even supposed to be in Utah at all right now. What could you possibly need to do there?" He whined, trying to reason with me. I smiled, pressing a light kiss to his lips. 

"Well for one, I think I'm too big of a distraction for you here. You haven't had hardly any progress with the civil war situation since I've been here," He opened his mouth to protest but I cut him off again. "And for two, I can pick up some shifts at the diner and get ahead on some school work. Plus I'd love to meet more people in your pack but I can't do that until I get some other things done." 

Gabriel sighed, nodding his head. "I guess that makes sense." 

I laughed, climbing off of him. "Duh."

"It doesn't mean I'm happy about it though!" He informed me. I shrugged my shoulders as I sashayed into the bathroom to get ready for the day. 

I looked at myself in the mirror, smiling. I looked truly and genuinely happy for the first time in a long time. The bags under my eyes weren't so pronounced, my face was flushed with color, and my hair was -although oily- manageable and looked-after. I felt good about myself. I knew that it had to do with how far I had come on my personal mental journey these last few months. I had finally found ways to keep myself happy. 

I saw Gabriel's reflection approach me from behind and I leaned into his chest as his arms came around my stomach and held me close. 

"What are you thinking about?" He asked, swaying us lightly from side-to-side. I closed my eyes and felt a soft smile bloom on my face. 

"How much my life has changed over these last few months. How much I have changed," I replied. 

"In a good way?" He asked, almost nervously. I turned in his arms, opening my eyes to meet his own. 

"In the best way," I assured him. 

Once I got home I called Marie at the cafe. 

"Viola?"

"Hey, Marie! I'm back in town now and I was wondering if you needed any shifts picked up?" I sat down at my desk chair and spun around while I talked. 

"That's so sweet of you!" She gushed. I laughed, imagining the look on her face. 

"So?" I asked, tapping a pen against my thigh nervously. I had my planner open and I was ready to fill out my schedule. 

"Actually we are closed for the Holidays! We thought it would be a nice break for everyone, and we had a really good year," She explained. I was disappointed. 

"Oh. Okay. Let me know when you guys open up again!" I said. 

"I will, Sweet girl! How was your time in Indiana?" She asked, conversationally. I blushed before I answered. 

"I got engaged," I informed her. 

"Oh! That's amazing! I'm so happy for you," She complimented. 

"Thanks, Marie. I should let you go. Happy Holidays!" 

"You too, Honey," Marie replied before I ended the call. I flopped onto my bed to think. 

I couldn't stop thinking about the situation in Gabriel's pack. It was bothering me that I hadn't been able to connect with any of the pack members either. I knew how important they all were to Gabriel, and I knew that one day I was supposed to lead by his side. I didn't feel comfortable being responsible for a group of people I knew nothing about.