The Red String of Fate

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet regardless of time, place or circumstance. The thread may stretch or tangle but it will never break."

At the age of fifteen, you concluded that the idea of having a soulmate was an absolute pile of myths; sitting atop of a mountain of deceit to keep everyone hopeful and happy. You grew up listening to your parents' story; how their thread tangled so much that they were close to giving up on love when they met each other while hiking in the mountains of Hawaii — a work trip your father wasn't supposed to be in, but was recruited the last minute, and a college excursion your mother wasn't interested in, yet still went.

They believe that it was fate finally pulling them towards each other. You don't, and you think you never will. According to the legends, you're supposed to cross paths with your soulmate at a young age no matter the circumstances. This fateful event strengthens your bond and ties you together for an eternity; the invisible red thread may stretch or tangle — but it will never break.

Yet even with this idea, the world is filled with so much prejudice and anger. It's not helping anyone, in fact, it's making people desperate.

And lonely.

Not a single scientific theory backed its very core existence up. The idea itself was way too complex that the world has given up on trying to fathom it; it just simply existed.

"I'm telling you, it's real!" Willow protests, letting out an exasperated sigh as she shakes her head at you.

You roll your eyes at your best friend. "There isn't a scientific basis for it. It's just simply impossible and doesn't make sense to me, you can't be tied to someone forever. A lot of people marry their polar opposite each year and will eventually hate each other in the end — that doesn't scream soulmate to me."

"Do you not understand? Love cannot be measured by science," she groans in frustration as she pulls the tickets out of her handbag. "Those people will hate each other in the end because they aren't each other's soulmates; and being somebody's soulmate doesn't truly mean you'll end up being romantically linked, for your information. I could be your soulmate right now and I'm one of your best friends. The idea of a soulmate is not focused on mainly being somebody's person, it's the universe putting someone in this world who is just like you, somebody you can confide in, and I think that's beautiful."

"Alright Will, whatever you say. I guess that's why there are so many serial killers because they're just copies of each other," you chuckle teasingly, bumping your shoulder into hers softly. "Even if a soulmate of mine existed, we'll never end up meeting each other because I refuse to be tangled in this nonsensical myth."

"You'll see the red string on your finger when you meet them, Y/N, remember I said this because it'll be the best day of your life," she insists with a stern look on her face, making you want to tease her even more. "And you know what? Perhaps one of the thousands of people in here is your soulmate. Check your finger, the thread may already be there — only you can see it."

This time, the tables are turning and she's teasing you with a massive grin on her face.

Maybe.

Her words instantly freak you out even when you didn't believe in the idea of the invisible red thread because you swear the moment the words come of out of her mouth, the stars set its sight on you and decided to fill your mind with what you insisted are overwhelming thoughts and hallucinations.

You look towards your left hand, fingers jumping rhythmically, a saturating tugging sensation emerging from it. Every single part of you pauses, feet almost stumbling in shock as your eyes land on the subtle crimson-coloured string wrapped around your smallest finger. The instant realisation knocks every wisp of air from your lungs, leaving you struggling to breathe as you stand in one of lines; astonished.