If You Decide To Love Someone

The view of the Seoul from your office promptly puts you at ease as you turn your chair around, letting your phone ring exactly twice in order for your ex-wife to think that you were somewhat busy. You bounce your legs, anxiously counting the seconds in between and it's not long before the ringing stops and the same ringtone starts again — and this time, you pick it up.

"Hello Roseanne," you greet a bit too happily, shuffling papers on purpose for the sound effect. "I'm sorry I couldn't pick up straightaway, I literally just got out of a meeting with my shareholders."

"It's okay, I figured you were in a meeting and was gonna call you back later," she hums calmly, the sound of her heavenly voice instantly making your heart skip multiple beats. "I'm so sorry for calling you during this time, I know the end of the financial year is not a great time for you to look after Chanyoung," she pauses, letting out a deep sigh as you listen to her carefully. "But something came up at work and I can no longer pick him up in time at school —"

"Are you kidding?" you laugh at her, putting your feet up your desk as you lean against the chair. You're enjoying this way too much. "He's my son, too. It's totally fine, no need to explain."

The door to your office opens with a heavy force and Jisoo, your top employee and also one of your best friends, comes in the moment you tell that to your ex-wife, making her chuckle at you and mouthing simp. You shake your head at her, showing her your middle finger as you spin your chair to avoid her teasing eyes.

"Thank you so much, I appreciate it. You know how he is, he hates being picked up by drivers. I'll pick him up from your place at, hold on," she stops once more, sighing. "At seven, perhaps?"

You recognise that tone of her voice anywhere — she is clearly upset and exhausted. Despite wanting to ask her if she needed to talk about it, you ignore that urge considering the current place she has put you in her life. You don't know exactly where, but you understand that it's not the same as it used to be.

"You sound like you really need a break, Roseanne. Don't worry about picking him up, I'll drop him off. And yeah, I know, I think he got that from you. You used to absolutely hate when I couldn't pick —"

"Y/N, let's not go there right now," she pleads, letting out a shaky breath. "Listen, I have to go, but if you're not doing anything tonight, have dinner with us. I'll order Chinese and maybe we can finally watch that film he has been wanting to see for so long."

You bite your lip anxiously, afraid that you just messed up your blooming friendship with her. "Right, sounds like a plan. I'll see you tonight."

The call finally ends, making you groan in frustration. Your ex-wife is too dedicated to her work, you think, she pours too much love into it that she keeps forgetting to leave some for herself — and that worries you a lot; not just for her, but for Chanyoung's sake too.

"You alright?" Jisoo asks when you finally face her, crossing her legs as she spreads her arms out on your couch like she always does. "Seemed like that call went downhill real quick."

"Yeah, she still doesn't like it when I bring our past up."

She scoffs, shaking her head. "Its been about six years since the divorce, you began talking again four years ago for the sake of Chanyoung — she is obviously not over the divorce. She knows she fucked up."

"She asked for it, why would she not be over it?" you frown, bitter memories of the way she treated you during those years flashing in your head.

To this day, you still haven't been given the answers you deserve. She pulled the divorce papers and gave them to you on a rainy Saturday morning — there was a lot of confusion at first, you were perfectly fine the night before she asked to be separated from you — your vows forever broken as the love of your life chose to leave you behind. It took you a while to get over the fact that you were never going to get an explanation from her.