The truth

Another day in Hawks apartment, the chirping of birds had woken you out of your sleep. Instead of being blinded by the sunlight, you had the view of crimson feathers covering you, blocking the view of everything else.
You blinked and rubbed your eyes, in total misbelief that Hawks wings had been hovering over you.
Hawks was a light sleeper, he had known you have woken up, so he inches away from your torso. Your weight was on one of his wings so he was trapped in an awkward position. He flapped his wing trying to get you to get off, but instead you rolled toward him.
You were now facing him, waiting for an explanation of why he was in the bed with you.

"Listen, your body temperature dropped drastically when I brought you home last night.. I'm pretty new to this whole vampire thing.. I thought maaaybe, you were dying.. but you had a pulse? A very light pulse? But super col—" you interrupted him before his face turned as red as a tomato. You understood how awkward this situation must've been for him so you decided to explain.

"Dhampir, I'm a Dhampir." Your fangs rubbed against your bottom lip, agitating you. That's strange, it's morning why are your fangs still apparent?
You got off of Hawks's wing, touching the inside of your mouth. The fangs pricked your finger drawing some blood, making you hiss as the blood evaporated and healed itself.

Hawks had been watching in admiration, his expression looks like his puppy had just learned a new trick.

"W-what?"

"So.. Dhampir huh? How come the sun isn't burning you right now? You're half or something?"

You figured you might as well reintroduce yourself to him, since he barely knows much about you. You cleared your throat, and decided to clear up on somethings you've missed.

"So a 'Dhampir' is a half vampire, the child of a vampire father and a human mother... I have the abilities of a vampire, not really having to worry about my 'generic' weaknesses because of my human genetics." You started to explain, your voice getting stuck in your throat as you continued,
"My mother.. (M/N), died giving birth to me.. You probably heard about her, she's pretty scary.. devouring people to make sure I was born healthy and strong."

You sniffed, rubbing your eyes to stop the burning sensation of tears rolling down your face.

"We.. we've been lying saying that she's retired.. to protect me from people knowing I'm a Dhampir... The villains know I'm related to her.. but not the whole story.."

You started to feel uneasy, moving towards the edge of the bed. He noticed that you were trying to leave so he tugged on your wing. You yelped, starting to catch on that your form had matured to the point where your night/day quirks have merged.

"Ahh, okay so it makes sense now. Villains would target you as a double threat because you're like your mother but stronger." He let go of your wing, deciding to keep his hands to himself before you got pissed at him.

"That's fine (Y/N), I'll protect you.. Just uh don't eat me, I have a pretty bad diet and my blood probably tastes bad,"

You scoffed, folding your wings in trying not to hit his head with them.

"I'm not gonna eat you, my step-sister usually delivers me blood. She works at a villain hospital so.. Its rather easier that way."

Hawks sighed in relief, not that he really thought you would try and eat him anyway.

"Oh, that must've been the little winged one! She resembles you a lot!"

"Yeah, I had a feeling you were watching me weirdo,"
You felt goosebumps going up your back, you cringed realizing that he probably saw you breaking that villains bones until they couldn't move.

"Any other questions Hawks?"
Hawks hummed, putting his hand on his chin before giving you a sly smirk.

"Say, since villains are trying to kill you and all.. why not join my internship and shadow me?"

"Like.. like hero work? I don't even have a license." You weren't completely against the idea, but you didn't want to get him in trouble either.

"Well, I can figure that out for you, what do you say? I mean.. as much as I love hanging out with you I have to go back to work. They made an exception cause a villain had been targeting someone from my agency." He winked at you, doing those silly hand gestures to try and convince you.

"I'll have to think about it.. that'd make you your sidekick or something right?" You smiled, rolling your eyes attempting to make it seem like it was a bother, but in all reality it seemed not so bad.

"Whatever you want, just ah.. don't do anything too gruesome you're gonna get hate mail"
He was making a reference to you breaking that guy's bones. He shivered, recalling how disgusting the bone cracking was.

"Sorry Hawks, it was probably pretty gross witnessing that, I have to do favors in return for blood." You scratched the side of your face awkwardly, kinda wishing he hadn't witnessed that.

"You can call me Keigo when nobody is around, but uh I gotta go kiddo there's some errands I gotta take care of."
He pat your head playfully, exiting the room to go get ready for the rest of his day.

——————————————————————

You had spent most of the day inside, sewing and putting together some type of hero outfit. He didn't have a sewing machine in his house, so you had to do it all by hand. Some fabric you got from the closet, it had been leftover from a project that a relative had been working on.
You snipped at the last thread, looking at your masterpiece of a hero costume, it looked okay but needed some adjustments from a professional. You wanted to have a headset like hawks, but didn't have the tools or the knowledge to make one.
You decided to text hawks,

(Y/N) : hey uh, i thought about it.. I think I want to do it. ('。• ᵕ •。')

(Y/N) : I want a hero costume! well i made one but I need some props to adjust it.. maybe something to support my wings.. or a weapon.

It had taken him some time to reply, but he responded eventually.

Hawks : (*꒦ິ꒳꒦ີ) im sending someone to the apartment, just tell them what you need and ill pay for it.

You heard a knock at the door, he had probably taken so long to respond because he was instructing an employee to come over to assist you.

You opened it, seeing a tall middle aged man in a suit. He had a hawks pin on his pocket, a nice trim and very professional like attire. You looked up, observing his face your eyes widened when you recognized your ex.

"Nice to see you again (Y/N)," he pushes himself into the apartment closing the door behind him.