Part 34. Endings are Tough

Standing beside Dinah at her car waiting on the guys to finish at the check-out desk had me nervous. This would be the last moment I would get to see him, the last time for who knows how long.

I got a call this morning telling me about a court date for Will breaking his warrant. It made me nervous at the thought of being in the same room as him again. I just hoped everything would go well and not awful.

Dinah glanced at me from where she was typing into her phone. She nudged me with her arm, gaining my full attention.

"Hey, everything will be okay. You two will figure out something, maybe this long-distance thing will work for you guys?" She tried to brighten up my mood with a grin, I flashed her a grin back but let my smile drop as the guys walked out of the hotel.

Sawyer was lagging behind the guys holding his duffel bag low beside him. He walked slowly as if lost in thought. I sighed as Doug and Zeke approached; I gave them both a hug before shoving them off on Dini, who told Doug she was turning his bedroom into a fashion room until he came back home from college.

I stood at the front of Dinah's Jeep waiting as Sawyer neared me. He set down his duffel beside him and looked down at me.

This was it. This was goodbye.

Our eyes met as we stared at each other. He opened his mouth as if to say something but closed his mouth before he could. Then he closed his eyes with a sigh "Elizabeth-" I threw my arms around him in a hug, holding him tight and shutting him up before he could say anything more.

His arms went around me in a hug and I took a breath as I squeezed my eyes shut, feeling his chest up under his T-shirt moving up and down. Just give me this one last moment before we part ways, I thought as I looked up at him from his chest.

He was looking down at me, uncertain about what to say.

"What is going to happen now?" Even though it came out of my mouth, it still felt like a punch to the gut.

Sawyer gulped as he moved away from me and looked down at the parking lot pavement, "I don't know, Elizabeth. Just know that I will never forget our moments together" he grabbed my hand and brought it up to his lips, pressing a kiss to my knuckles "I will miss you, beautiful."

I bit my bottom lip to keep from showing emotion.

"I will miss you too, storyteller."

With that said, he let me have my hand back before reaching down to grab his duffel. He walked over to the truck of Doug's and threw it in the back before looking at me again.

I'll never forget this, I thought as I opened the door to Dinah's Jeep and got in. I shut the door and watched as Sawyer shut his door behind him, Doug pulled out of the parking lot first.

Dinah looked over at me with a frown, she put a hand to my shoulder "Are you okay?" She asked with kindness, making me nod in answer. She frowned as she put the Jeep into drive and backed out of the parking space.

On the outside, I made myself seem fine. Like it didn't hurt watching him go away. But on the inside, my heart was hurting, and I felt like crying. It wasn't like when I broke up with Will though, no this seemed to be different.

Like I knew we would see each other again.

I sighed as I reached over and turned on the radio, I smirked as I looked at Dinah "How about we rent an apartment, move out of our parents' houses and study online together?" I asked her as she pulled out onto the interstate.

She threw me a grin, "I was going to ask you the same thing. We can keep each other company. Maybe soon, you and Sawyer will see each other again and you can move in with him?" She tried to cheer me up in the ninety-degree weather.

I rolled my eyes as I rolled my window down and let the wind blow my hair around "We haven't even moved in together yet, and already you are trying to get rid of me" I teased my cousin making her shrug and put on an innocent face.

As we drove down the road, a familiar truck came into view. The driver honked the horn and Dinah honked hers back, making us laugh as three hands came out the windows to wave; they took a different exit, Dini and I smiled at the other.

We drove down the interstate listening to Aerosmith, passing cars, and complaining about the hot weather, while thinking about what happened on our vacation trip.

(FINISHED! I hope everyone enjoyed the book. I have other works on my profile, if you enjoyed this book go check out my Wattpad Profile! <3-TBK.)