Chapter 9

I woke from my nap with a start, inhaling sharply.

I felt like I'd just been trapped in a nightmare but I couldn't remember what had scared me.

Whatever it was, it shook me to the core.

I went to the bathroom and looked in the mirror before splashing my face with cold water.

My phone pinged, indicating I had received a new message. I jumped slightly, dripping some water on the floor.

I checked my phone and was shocked when I saw that it was from Jungkook. We hadn't spoken since he quite literally pushed me away and triggered my traumatic memory to resurface.

The text read:

'I'm sorry. I can't go on like this anymore. Forgive me – received 11 April'

I couldn't breathe. I texted back immediately, my hands trembling.

'Jungkook? What do you mean? Are you okay?'

An error message popped up. 'Message failed to send.'

A terrible feeling overwhelmed me.

"No" I whispered.

I raced out of my house and headed for town.

Please don't do anything stupid Jungkook, I prayed silently.

I frantically searched the streets for him.

I don't know why, but I suddenly looked up and saw someone standing on the roof where he had shown me the fireworks.

"Jungkook! No!" I shouted, sprinting along the streets below.

My heart stopped for a moment when I realised he was standing on the edge, arms outstretched to the oncoming breeze.

There's no way he could hear me from down here.

Without hesitation, I burst through the front doors of the building and ran up the stairs as fast as I could.

I kicked the roof door open and rushed towards Jungkook, who was still teetering on the edge.

"Jungkook! Stop! Please!" I begged.

He glanced over his shoulder towards me, his eyes opening wide as he recognised me.

"What are you doing here?" he asked.

"I can't let you do this. Please, Jungkook, don't jump" I pleaded.

He turned back around and looked at the ground below.

"I'm sorry... you should go... you don't want to see this" he said.

I stepped closer and softly wrapped my arms around his waist.

"No. I won't leave you. I can't lose you" I said. "What's the use in living? Nobody needs me" he protested.

"That's not true. Your family needs you. They may not know it, but the other members of BTS, your friends, they need you... and I need you" I replied.

"Chloe, please..." he began but I interrupted him.

"Do you remember the night you brought me here to see the fireworks and you told me how grateful you were for everything I'd done for you? Well I never got the chance to tell you how grateful I am to you. You said your piece the other night, now it's time for you to listen to me" I said, taking hold of his hands in mine.

He stayed silent, waiting for me to continue.

"I am so thankful to have you in my life, Jungkook. I haven't told you everything about my past, but it's not exactly a fairy tale. After everything that happened, I shut my heart off from the world, scared that it would be broken again. When I met you, it's like you forced open my heart and all of the emotions I'd hidden away flooded back. I didn't even realise that I was keeping myself prisoner. You were the first guy in our year who actually had a proper conversation with me. You didn't see me as just another geek. You showed me that there is still kindness in this world. You have no idea how much you've done for me in the few years we've known each other. You reintroduced me to music and the things that bring me happiness. You reminded me that life is worth living. You saved me from myself. You truly did... let me do the same for you" I finished, tears crawling down my cheeks and dripping down his back, which I was still hugging tightly.