Part 1

Hermione and I walked briskly down the corridor to McGonagall's office. We had just received a summons, and I was curious as to why we had to go. I hadn't broken any rules and my marks weren't bad. Well...I hadn't broken any major rules.

"Harry?"

"Hmm?"

"What did we do? Why didn't she ask Ron to come?" 

I shrugged. "I dunno. Must be something imp---" I cut off when I saw Luna Lovegood walking down the corridor towards us. She seemed to be in good spirits.

"Hi Harry! Hi Hermione!" she greeted happily, falling into step beside us.

"Hey, Luna."

Hermione nodded at her, but didn't say anything. She had never quite figured out how to talk to Luna.

"Did McGonagall ask you to come too?" I asked, and she nodded.

"I don't know why she didn't ask Professor Flitwick."

It took a moment, but then I realized she thought she was in trouble and found it strange that she wasn't seeing her head of house.

"Maybe it's about Dumbledore's Army?" Hermione suggested.

"But that was last year," I said, shaking my head. "And she practically helped us with it. She helped us get rid of Umbridge, anyway. I guess we'll find out in a second."

We stopped in front of McGonagall's office door. I knocked, then I opened it at the "Enter".

I instantly froze when I saw the two people who were already there. Draco Malfoy and Pansy Parkinson. I tried to control my face, but I felt my gaze stick on Malfoy. I couldn't figure out why, and I only looked away when Hermione gave me a shove so I would keep moving.

"Professor?" I asked. "What's all this about?" I gestured amongst the five of us.

The Professor in question stood up behind her desk and motioned for Luna to close the door. "Yes. I am sure you are wondering why I have gathered you all at this hour."

I nodded, looking out the window at the pitch black sky. Supper was over hours ago, and most students were retiring for bed.

"We have a mission and we were given the task of picking five students for said mission."

I glanced at Hermione, and she shrugged.

"What are you talking about?" Malfoy asked, leaning against the wall.

I looked at him, then over at Pansy, who was staring at Hermione. I thought Hermione hadn't noticed, but then I saw a faint blush appear on her cheeks.

"Illvermorny, the Wizarding school in America, is in desperate need of aid. Several of their Professors have quit for reasons unknown, and they are in search of teachers for their school. The American Ministry has gotten in touch with Hogwarts, Beauxbatons, and Durmstrang. They are looking for students to come and tutor at Illvermorny until replacements can be found."

That didn't make any sense to me. "Why can't they just get witches and wizards from the states to come and teach? There are loads of them."

McGonagall sighed and turned her gaze to me. "Because no one wants to work there. Their current Headmistress is...let's just say she is out of her depth. The Professors are not getting their proper salaries, and the students are not getting as nearly decent an education as they should."

"Why not just bring them here?" Hermione suggested. "Or divide them amongst the Wizarding schools until their Headmistress is capable of teaching her pupils?"

"The new Headmistress is very stubborn. She won't admit defeat. Her allowing tutors from the other Wizarding schools is already a small miracle."

Pansy finally tore her gaze away from Hermione and looked over at McGonagall. "Why us? Why not gather a whole bunch of Ravenclaws and ship them off?"

I glanced over at Luna. As fun and happy as she was, I didn't see her as the perfect tutor for Americans.

"Because you lot are the Headmaster's top choice."

I scoffed. "Please. There are people loads smarter than us. I can see Hermione and possibly Luna, but why the hell would he want Malfoy, Pansy and I?"

Malfoy glared at me before looking back at McGonagall, and I barely stifled a smirk.

"Because he believes you are the best for the job," McGonagall answered. "You won't be afraid of being somewhere new, and he believes you will have more patience for the students."

Malfoy scoffed. "If he wanted patience, he should have gotten a Hufflepuff."

McGonagall stood up straighter, her expression now stern. "He has chosen you to go. If you find that you cannot, then he will have to owl the American Ministry and tell them that Hogwarts cannot participate in the aid of Illvermorny."

I glanced around the room, thinking then I sighed and nodded. "Fine. I'll go."

I looked over at Hermione, and she nodded as well. "I'll go too."

Luna nodded, and, after a moment, Malfoy and Pansy reluctantly did the same.

"Good," McGonagall said with an approving nod. "Meet me in the Entrance Hall tomorrow morning before breakfast with your things."

I raised an eyebrow. "How long are we going to be there?"

"That will depend on how things are when you get there, Mr. Potter. Now you lot better get packing."

I nodded then quickly left the room, Hermione right beside me.