Part 2

That night, Hermione and I quickly packed, then we left our things by the portrait hole. We stayed up the rest of the night, planning on what we would do when we got to America. Neither of us had ever been, and we didn't have a clue on how to teach the students there.

"You're a great teacher!" Hermione said encouragingly, a cup of tea warming her hands.

"How do you know?" I asked, frowning.

She scoffed. "You taught the entirety of Dumbledore's Army. I'd say that qualifies you."

I groaned. "But these are Americans! They're... well..."

Hermione chuckled. "I know. Oh. Should we wake Ron? Let him know?"

I shook my head. "We can wake him in the morning."

Hermione nodded, and we got back to planning.

****

The next morning, we roused Ron and led him down to the Common Room. We took turns explaining what was happening, having to repeat things a few times so he could understand in his semiconscious state.

"When will you be back?" he asked, rubbing his eyes.

"We don't know," Hermione answered.

"Where will you be staying?" I glanced at Hermione, then back at him.

"We don't know."

"What will you be doing when you get there?"

We both looked down at the floor.

Ron scoffed. "Do you know anything about what you're doing there?"

"We just know we are helping teach the kids there because their Headmistress is incompetent," I answered, and Hermione sniggered.

"When are you leaving?"

I looked out the window at the sunrise. "Right about now, actually."

Ron sighed. "Alright...well, owl me, I guess. I'll tell mum, and she'll make sure you two are safe and have a good place to stay."

I smiled. I had always loved how much Mrs. Weasley looked after us, even though we weren't her own flesh and blood. She really was like my own Mother. I couldn't ask for a better one.

"Thanks, Ron," I said. "But don't worry her. We'll be fine."

Ron sighed. "Fine. But I still expect to get owled often."

I chuckled. "Don't worry. You'll be drowning in them."

He nodded. "Be safe. And if anyone gives you any trouble---" 

"You'll take care of it?" I finished, chuckling.

"Yeah. And they'll---" 

"Oh Ron, don't embarrass yourself," Hermione said as she gave him a hug.

"I'm not! I---" 

"You really are. But don't worry, mate. We'll be fine," I said, then I gave him a quick hug and walked over to my trunk.

"Ready 'Mione?"

She nodded and grabbed her trunk by the handle.

"Bye Ron," I bade. "I'll owl you when we get there."

He nodded and watched us leave. I saw him wave, but I couldn't wave back before the portrait hole closed.

Hermione and I walked quickly down the stairs, each lost in our own thoughts.

When we reached the Entrance Hall, we saw that everyone was already there and picked up the pace.

"Ah. Mr. Potter and Miss Granger. I am so glad you graced us with your presence," McGonagall said, but I thought I saw a small smile on her face. "Your carriage is outside and will take you---" 

"Carriage? Aren't we apparating?" Pansy interrupted.

McGonagall shook her head. "It is much easier to travel by carriage than apparation when you are traveling with luggage. The school is expecting you by tomorrow, so you needn't worry about the time."

McGonagall started walking towards the doors, and we followed behind her.

A golden carriage that bore the Hogwarts crest was waiting at the gates, and I chuckled lightly when I saw it.

No matter what McGonagall said, we were using a carriage to show off to the school that we had nice things. Similar to how Beauxbatons arrived in a flying carriage as well, and how Durmstrang's ship rose out of the lake.

I could see six thestrals tied to the front. I was surprised when Malfoy seemed to see them too. He hadn't been able to before, and I wondered what had happened to make it possible now.

"You should all fit inside quite comfortably," McGonagall said as she opened the door.

Before we could climb in, however, she spoke again.

"You five are reflecting Hogwarts school. You will be demonstrating how we teach, how we behave. If I hear one word that you are making Hogwarts look foolish, you can be sure that you will be brought back and there will be severe consequences. Am I clear?"

We all nodded, then we climbed into the carriage, trying not to grin.

There were two rows of comfortable looking benches, a chandelier overhead, and racks for the luggage above the benches inside. It was very formal, but also comfortable.

I stowed my luggage away, then I sat down near a window. I loathed riding in either a train or a carriage if I wasn't near one.

"I wish you the best of luck, and remember, you show them that we raised you right here. Show them how they should teach their pupils. Do not make them have to teach you."

We all nodded again, and McGonagall closed the door. I heard her clap, and the carriage jolted all of us as it took off.

Hermione sat down on the bench across from me, and I internally groaned when Malfoy sat at my side. I honestly would have rather have Luna beside me, talking about Wrackspurts and Doozles or whatever she talked about for the entire journey.

I focused my gaze out the window and watched as the trees flew by. We passed over several lakes and more trees, then a few villages, but none of them stayed in view for long. They passed in a blur, and I was always left with a different sight.

I was just looking out as we flew over a large forest as a jet of green light soared towards the carriage. I sat up straighter, and my stomach did a flip when I heard a loud whinny from one of the thestrals.

In an instant, we were falling. Hermione's face was white, and I could see that she was trying to figure out what to do, but there was no time. I felt someone take my hand, but wasn't thinking straight enough to figure out who it was.

The carriage started spinning, then there was a loud crash and a loud ringing in my ears, but then there was nothing at all. Nothing but blackness.