Part 8

While Hermione and I were talking, Luna had gathered the water bottles and started slipping leaves into them. When Hermione had asked what she was doing, Luna said it made the water cleaner and put minerals in it to help keep us strong. The amount of random things she knew was astounding.

"What's that over there?" Hermione asked, pointing to the empty bag that was partly covered by the first aid kit.

"Just a bag. There's nothing in it. I'm not sure why they didn't fill it. Maybe they didn't have enough time or figured we wouldn't need it." I pulled the bag free and Hermione's eyes lit up like she had just found a lost treasure.

"Thats not a bag, Harry! Bring it here." I handed the 'bag' to Hermione and she started stretching it out. It just kept growing and growing until it was as large as a tent. Then it grew even larger.

"So it's an undetectable extension charm, except the bag grows instead of being able to place contents in it forever?" I asked and Hermione nodded happily.

"That's great and all, but what can we do with it?" Hermione felt the black material then looked up at the sky. The clouds were swirling and I knew rain was due any minute now.

"If we can grab a few sticks, we can turn it into a shelter. The material keeps out water and, once you're inside, becomes sheer enough that you can see through it." I gave her a questioning look.

"My parents used to take me camping. We learned how to set up tents and things. We had something like this, but this is more magical. In fact, I think..."

Hermione ran her hand over the material and suddenly it changed and became completely transparent. She smiled proudly.

"I knew it! It's like muggle camouflage, but far better! It's almost like a chameleon. It blends in perfectly to its surroundings!"

By now the others had heard our conversation and were gathered around us. "So we can make a shelter out of that?" Malfoy asked and Hermione nodded.

"Harry knows how. Don't you?" I shrugged.

"I mean, I was able to figure it out at the World Cup, but that had all of the proper tent things like poles and pegs."

Hermione sighed. "Nothing about this is normal, so we just have to try our best. How about...Luna, you and Pansy go in the woods and find large sticks so we can prop this up. You and Malfoy can work on getting it set up when they get back." I got a sinking feeling in my chest.

"But we can't be camouflaged, 'Mione." I couldn't believe it had taken me so long to realize.

"No one would find us if we were." Hermione ran her hand along the fabric again and it went back to black.

"That's fine. We'll just keep it like this. That way they can see us from above and we can see out. It's like glass once you're inside, just much more durable."

After a bit more planning, Luna and Pansy went off into the forest and Malfoy and I were left trying to figure out how we should set up the tent.

Once the girls were back, with Hermione's instructions, we were able to get a decent shelter out of it. It was far larger than any tent, which was good. That way there would be room for all of us.

By the time I had managed to carry Hermione into the tent, it was already noon and we were all starving. Luna had gathered more berries, but they were gone quickly. The problem was, none of us knew of anything else that was safe to eat.

"How about I go and look around? If I can't find more of those berries, I might find some town or a road or something." Pansy shook her head at my suggestion.

"Have you heard any cars, Potter? This forest is silent except for the birds, so I doubt there's anything human related nearby."

I sighed and scratched the back of my head. It felt tender, but I assumed that was just because I had hit it when I passed out.

"Well, it's the only plan we've got. It's better than just sitting around, being hungry." I stood and Malfoy stood beside me.

"I'll come. We might find more herbs that would be good for healing. I think I can figure out what is what." I glanced over at Hermione and saw that she was smirking again.

"Sure. Let's go." I handed Hermione one of the bottles of water in case she needed it, then Malfoy and I left the shelter.