27

Lucille

Lucille

"Lucille Barras, is that you?" A man's voice shouted out in surprise as Lucille crossed the muddy farm.

Amélie's home was on the outskirts of the village, much like Lucille's, though on the opposite side. She lived in a quaint little cottage, surrounded by two barns, five children and even more animals.

Her eyes locked onto the happy couple, the voices of their children ringing from inside their house. She replied happily. "Amélie! Eugène!"

"It's good to see you. Come in." Amélie greeted her with a hug, as she pulled her inside, passed her husband.

The three of them sat at the small table in the kitchen. Lucille smiled as she watched her friend shoo her children from the room, each of them chasing the other as they skidded through the front door.

"I brought some cakes." Lucille handed the large box over.

Amélie opened the tin to reveal a cloth, which pulled back to reveal a large pile of buns. Her eyes lit up as she thanked her and put them down, before moving to boil some water for tea.

"I told him about the Englishmen. He got quite excited." Amélie said with a laugh as she pointed to Eugène, who rolled his eyes.

"I did not. I'd just like the chance to practise my English." He said.

"Oh, it's not as if you taught me the language many years ago." Lucille teased, earning a laugh from Amélie.

"No, excitement Lucille, that's what I want. Especially after having that bastard in our house." Eugène said.

He stood up from his seat, rubbing his hair in frustration. He took a sip from his cup of tea. The mug looked tiny against his large hands as he slammed it against the table.

"We have children, Eugène." Amélie said, though her tone was rather bored, as if she had used the excuse before.

"Exactly!" He exclaimed, before cringing at her annoyed expression.
"Sorry, Angel, I didn't mean that."

"Well if an adventure is what you want, if Amélie will allow it, I need your help to get them to Paris." Lucille suggested, and his face lit up as he looked to his wife hopefully.

"There's two of them?" He asked, after Amélie smile, and Lucille nodded.

"We could pull it off. I already have an idea, I'd need to sort a few large details however." He said.

"Really?" Lucille exclaimed. She hadn't expected him to have come up with a plan so quickly. Though she had imagine that Eugène had been plotting it ever since he heard of their situation.

"Yes, we'd have to find a way to get you three onto the nearest train." He explained.

"There are still trains?" Amélie asked, and he nodded.

"Yes. In a way." Eugène began to explain. "They are used to transport injured Germans and some of the wealthier French who can bribe their way to get travel papers."

"How could we possibly get onto one of those?" Lucille felt even more hopeless at the thought of having to get in a train filled with the opposition.

"Not easily, that's for sure." He said, but after seeing her worried face, he reassured her, "But I'll make it happen."

"What can I do until then?" She asked and Eugène shrugged.

"Nothing, just sit tight." He said as he finally sat down again. "We could possibly try get you a travel pass- you're french after all. Dress you up a bit. But that means once you're in, your on your own getting the two of them in."

"It's a big risk." Amélie stated and Lucille nodded.

"I'll figure it out." He said finally. "I'd be happy to."

"Thank you, Eugène. I don't know how I'll ever repay you both for this." Lucille looked between the two with a smile.

"Just make us some of you're cakes and we'll be happy." Amélie exclaimed, before being interrupted by her children.

Two little boys came running into the kitchen, the older holding the younger one in his arms. His nose was bloody and tears streamed down his cheeks as he reached for his mother. Amélie took the boy into a hug, whispering comfort as he cried through the pain of a bust nose.

"I should go." Lucille said. "Thank you, again."

"Yes, they'll be missing you." Amélie eyes her cheekily as she dug in her comment.

Lucille rolled her eyes playfully as she brushed it off. After standing to head to the door, she placed a kiss on the young boys damp cheek and left the small farm, the cries of a child still in the distance.

As Lucille walked home, she thought about what this all meant. She was excited by the fact that she would be able to help the two boys, who she had become closer to, in getting home. Lucille knew that there were people waiting for Tommy in England, but she couldn't help but be solemn at the fact that he would be leaving and she would be left to wait on Adam. She had become so used to him being there that she couldn't remember what it was like without him in the house, and couldn't imagine how silent the house would become.

She wondered how they would take the news of their upcoming escape. Though the details were still vague, it was happening. For Lucille, it scared her, more than it should. But she knew they would take the news happily and thankfully. After all, they had been stuck on the sidelines for far too long.

As she neared her home, Lucille made a promise to herself. She promised that despite what may happen, she would remember to be happy for the two of them

No matter what that meant for herself.

Unedited
I forgot if I wrote Lucille's last name anyway but I've changed it so if you remember it to be anything else please tell me aha