52

Lucille

Lucille

She had never seen John Shelby look so nervous. His face was pale and his leg was shaking faster than ever- he looked as if he was going to be sick.

They- John, Polly, Arthur and Lucille- were gathered in the private room of the Garrison waiting, as always, for Tommy to show up on time. He was late by ten minutes. He was early in his books. But there was news to be shared, apparently, and though Lucille was surprised to be included, she knew it was John's mess that was going to be revealed. She had a feeling no one would like it.

Although the family felt secure enough to leave little Finn at the betting den as they talked in the Garrison, Lucille felt every nerve possible for leaving Adds there too, even if one of their cousins was there with them. She had noticed how Finn would act too, around his brothers. He acted old, as if he was as much apart of the mess as they were, but he was still a young boy. She wished they would treat him as such.

"I swear, one of these days he'll be early and we'll be late," she said, cutting through the silence. It had become too much to watch John wallow in the quietness, wringing his hat around his fingers until they were red.

"He'd be late to his own funeral, that man," Polly cut in with a snort.

"I won't complain about that."

The door swung open easily, though not pushed hard enough to send it screeching against its hinges and banging to the wall, as Arthur had done. Tommy stopped in purposefully, moving as if all eyes were immediately zoned on him. Because they were. They watched him pull out a cigarette, lean against the wall and look to John.

"Alright John, there's only one man guarding the house," he said, pausing to light the cigarette. They would wait. "And Adds and Finn are there. What's troubling you?"

John's eyes moved from his brother to his aunt. "Polly. You know what it's been like since Martha died."

She signed the cross. "God takes the best first."

"Truth is, my kids have been running bloody rings around me. Barefoot with the dogs." Tommy cut in, rushing him to leave the room.

"Give him ten bobs and new shoes. Alright?"

John clenched his teeth, not looking him in the eye. Tommy's abruptness annoyed them all. But as Lucille smacked him on the arm lightly, he barely flinched, instead sighing shortly and wiping the smirk from his face.

"Tommy, we'll be better to do this without you," Polly said, turning to the youngest. "Now what's your point?"

"What the kids need is a mother. So that's why I'm getting married."