43

Lucille

Lucille

"Good of you to join us. Where've you been all day?"

Lucille turned to glance through the door to the dining table, from where she sat dressing Adds in the sitting room. She already knew who had entered to sit next to Polly, even if she didn't recognise the voice of the woman that replied. Ada, Tommy's sister, had finally come back to stay at Watery Lane, though Lucille didn't know where she had been previously.

The two hadn't met yet, and so Lucille found herself leaning to get a look of the woman from between the door frame. Her hair was dark and shoulder length, only just reaching to touch the light fabric of her nighty and gown.

"In bed." Ada sleepily replied. "Couldn't sleep. Then I couldn't wake up. Then I was cold and then I had to go for a wee."

"Then I was with this bear on a boat, but that was just a dream. Then I was hungry."

Lucille watched as she stopped in front of her aunt, noticing the news article in her hands. "Why are you reading the paper?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Polly shrugged.

"I've never seen you read the paper. Only ever seen you light a fire with them." Ada said, but before Polly could say anything, she asked, "Wait, hang on. You said us."

"I was waiting for you to catch on." Polly said. "Lucille!"

Lucille's eyes widened as she paused a moment, pulling Adds to sit up on her knee, before hurrying toward the kitchen.

"Did you shout on me?" She asked, keeping her gaze on Polly, in order to be polite.

"Think It's about time you were meeting our Ada." Polly said, though she wasn't talking toward Lucille as her niece had expected.

"Ada?" She questioned, looking between Polly and the random woman who had appeared in her kitchen, a child comfortably in her arms.

Polly nodded and Lucille flashed a small smile.

"Remember we thought Tommy had a girl." Polly said, and the facts finally seemed to dawn on her, as Ada's mouth dropped open.

"You're seeing Tommy?" She exclaimed, eyes wide.

"We met in France and things happened." Lucille said, motioning to her daughter who was blubbering and playing with her hair.

"This is Adds." Polly said, she could tell that Lucille was unsure of what to say. "Our John gave her the nickname, but Lucille named her after you."

"Named after me? Aw." Ada cooed, before asking if she could hold the young girl. Adds reached her hand up to grab the woman's hair as she was taken from Lucille.

"Hello, sweetheart." Ada said softly, watching as she looked up to her with big, blue eyes. Like everyone else, she could see the resemblance.

"Oh my god, Tommy has a kid." Ada said suddenly, her eyes snapping up to Polly's as she beamed, the reality sinking in.