V1 Ch4 Lessons in Sparring

"This is a bad idea," Marty said. He slowly twirled his metal orbs around him.

A breeze cut through the Emerald forest, slicing right through the clearing that Marty stood in. He was not alone in this meadow. Ryden, Yang, and Pyrrha were with him.

"I think it was a wonderful suggestion. We could all use some training, but perhaps we could've invited the rest of our teams?" Pyrrha said. As usual, she had her sweet and kind voice.

"Hell no," Ryden scoffed. "You three are strong, unlike those teammates of your's."

"Raw power isn't everything in a fight," Pyrrha commented. "Strategy is just as important as strength."

"Marty, you'll be fighting Pyrrha," Yang interrupted. "I think you'll find a challenge in her."

Marty scoffed. "I'm not trying to be cocky, but I don't find a challenge in most people as they simply can't touch me." Marty spoke like his words were fact. A carefree and casual tone to his voice.

"Pyrrha, no ones around so why hold back?" Yang asked her friend.

Pyrrha smiled. "Um Yang, I don't know if that's a good idea," She nervously said.

"Nah," Yang said, waving her hand at Pyrrha's concerns. "You weren't here for when Marty took on an Elder Guardian, by himself."

"Okay," Pyrrha reluctantly agreed.

"Perfect!" Yang cheered. She fist bumped the air. "Now on the count of three, 1, 2... 3!"

Yang had barely finished counting, before Pyrrha charged Marty. Pyrrha threw her shield first and jabbed second. The blonde summoned the metal into a shield. The shield and spear were both blocked.

Marty was ready to go on the offensive, but his metal shield was yanked away from him. Much to his surprise, Pyrrha was the one now in control of the metal. Marty's eyes widened as he tried to pull it back to him, but it was unresponsive.

The next couple of seconds were a blur for Marty. Pyrrha tossed her shield into his face and slid behind him. She struck him ten times from behind with her spear. Pyrrha kicked Marty forward.

Pyrrha ran up to him and leapt onto his back. The spartan then swung around Marty's neck and used her momentum to bring him to the ground. Pyrrha was quick to get up and press her spear into Marty's neck.

"That was quicker than I thought," Yang commented with displeasure. "He didn't even land a hit," Yang whined. She had hoped Marty would last a bit longer.

"My turn," Ryden said.

Yang turned to Ryden, but was surprised to see he had removed both his jacket and shirt. Unfortunately, he was quick to pass her.

"Pyrrha!" Ryden shouted.

The spartan looked up from Marty, only to be met with Ryden's blade. Pyrrha instantly called her shield. It flew into her off hand and Pyrrha parried. Her counter attack came with two rapid jabs from her spear.

Ryden dodged both attacks. The blue blade became lit with Ryden's iconic blue fire. Ryden twirled the sword and slammed it into the ground. A shock wave of fire washed around the clearing.

Pyrrha put her shield up and leapt away. She landed thirty yards away from Ryden. The clearing was now engulfed in flames. The fire continued to grow. It was clear Ryden wasn't messing around.

"Ryden!" Yang shouted. "Are you trying to burn down the forest?!" She scolded.

Ryden didn't bother to acknowledge Yang. He rushed Pyrrha. Ryden brought his sword down. The champion parried the blade with her shield. Pyrrha flicked her spear into Ryden's side. It did little as Ryden snapped a hand down and caught the spear.