Chapter 22

Alexander

It's been a week since I let her return to her apartment. Why? Because it did not feel right to force her to stay in my house after knowing she is going to be another man's wife. It would only encourage whatever I feel for her. I don't want to create more mess than she is already in.

I felt unreasonably irritated and annoyed that day when I heard about her engagement and I still am. The thought that soon someone is going to call her his wife in the public, just as I did these few days is creating frenzy inside, and I do not have an inkling of an idea how to control that. I can not believe that I feel this possessive of someone I barely knew.

Fuck! Fuck this shit!

I was coming to the base every day since last week just so I divert from these unnecessary thoughts. First I struggled to let her stay in my house, and now I am struggling to not think about her.

"Hey man!"

I looked up at the person annoyed and I am more annoyed seeing it was none other than the idiot who was actually the creator of this shitty situation.

"Howdy, grumpy old man?"

That's it! I walked towards him from my seat and knocked him down in before I can even realise what I am actually doing.

"Ow! Ow! You bastard!" He howled in pain. Guess I needed to vent out so badly and he came just in time.

"You came in at the wrong time." I shrugged merely, not caring about his pain, and sat back in my seat.

"You will get over it. It's not like we did not fight each other before." My answer to his incredulous looks from the couch. I shuffled through the files I was looking at, before she invaded my mind again.

Damn her! And damn me!

"Is this about me or your wife?"

"What wife?!" I glared, holding myself from twisting his neck.

"You should really shut that gutter of a mouth if you want to see tomorrow." I warned him before he can utter any more nonsense.

"Woah dude! I did not expect you to be in such a fowl mood! I mean, come on, she is just a woman you saved and tried to protect further. You don't even know her properly except her name. I don't understand why you are this disturbed?"

"Exactly! You don't understand Enrique, and I don't have the patience to explain. Now, why did you come in?" I know what he said is right but my mind is unable to accept that at this moment.

"I would have said earlier if you hadn't knocked me down as soon as I came, but now I don't want to anymore. I don't want to put my life at stake!" His melodrama never ends. I shook my head helplessly.

"Fine. You either say what you came in for or leave before I knock you down again!" I was so ready to knock him out again and this time, I will make sure to break his jaw that he won't be able to talk again for weeks!

"Don't think I don't know what that look is for. Just so you would be begging me later unable control to your curiosity, I am saying this. You better be grateful for what I am gonna say not." Damn! He is enjoying this.

"Get out Enrique, if you're not going to talk!" I'm definitely not in the mood for him today. I got back into reading whatever documents I have been trying to for past few hours.

"Fine, fine! I'll talk and I bet you would be grateful I actually talked"

I don't even have the energy to respond to the nonsense he's been uttering since he came in. I didn't want to look up or pay him any attention unless he starts talking something useful.

"Alright, so I looked into the CCTV cameras around the park where the incident happened to see if we can identify the attacker as the there were none at the incident spot." He started and I nodded for him to continue without looking up.

"Their faces could be identified in one of the cameras and I confirmed today that they belong to the Exit Three Group!" I'm not surprised because I already knew it.

"Not only that, I also backtracked their recent moves to see if there's any connection between them and Ms.K to find the reason behind their attack. Guess what I found?" Now this piqued my interest. I raised my head and waited for him continue.

"As much as I'd love to keep you guessing, this is a serious issue, so I will report the rest of my findings like your dutiful partner." Thanks God for instilling at least some percent of common sense in him.

"Apparently, they did interact on the day Ms.K entered the country for the first time which is at the airport. In this process, I also found a lovey dovey footage of you holding her and her mesmerized by you meanwhile our villain took the opportunity for whatever reason and sneakily put a pendrive in her hand luggage. Now the question is why he'd do that and what is in it and most importantly, if Ms.K is aware of this?" Enrique ended.

"You forgot another important question, whether she is intentionally involved in this whole act and we are the ones who got fooled by them?" I added to his questions. Stupid, one might consider my question but I cannot leave any possibility unchecked.

"I knew you'd say that and did you think I would not have thought of that? I already cross checked her background, immigration documents and also tracked her activities ever since she came here. Nothing looked suspicious except for that video of you both together!" He won't let me forgot about that now ever.

"Thank you for the valuable information Enrique and I appreciate it but can you not keep adding that insignificant piece of information please?" I gritted in irritation. Yes I appreciate his help and efforts but not the last bit and definitely not when I'm already struggling and annoyed at myself.

"Ah, I'll show some mercy for now my friend but only until you sort that muddly mind of yours" He winked and I rolled my eyes but stopped from countering because that would only encourage him.

"I have to clarify all this with her directly and also let her know about it as we have invaded her privacy without prior permission although for a good reason. Meanwhile continue to track those attackers' current activities." I patted his back and was about to leave the room.

"See I just gave you a reason to see your wife. Now you can go and spend as much time as you want investigating her. You should be grateful that I'm not only your best friend, best partner but also a heaven sent gift to you!" He wiped his non existent tears and smiled brightly trying to prove his point.

Good Lord, why am I surrounded by such weird and crazy idiots!

"You! I'll deal with you later so fuck off now before I break that heaven made nose of yours!!" I left before he could counter my statement.

While I don't want to agree that what he said is partly right, it is true. A reason for me to see her after a whole week of internal battle. A solid reason to find more about her and also put an end to this mess. I only hope it doesn't get any more complicated than it is now.

With that in mind, I drove to her apartment praying we don't fight again and actually have a proper conversation.