1. how to crash a broom

"Are you really sure about this?" Cinderella reluctantly asked. 

"Of course!" Snow White said to loudly for comfort, and was met with the blonde clamping a hand over her mouth and raising a finger to her own lips.

It was the dead of night, the only lighting available was the white moon, and currently she was helping her best friend, who was a princess, break into her own castle to try and find the king. And into the office of her step-mother Regina no less! 

It had been 2 months since King White had remarried, and suffice to say both Cinderella and Snow White hated the new queen with a fire. Put it simply the only thing attractive about her was her looks, but since those had started to fade, she had started to truly look like the witch she was. 

The only reason the scullery maid was assisting with this madness was out of simple devotion to the princess. They had known each other since they were 13, when Snow White convinced her father to hire her at the castle and save her from a hellish existence from her own step-mother.

She knew all to well the feeling of a having a cruel new mother figure in your life while having a missing father, and while she was glad to assist, she at the moment was proceeding with much more caution then her brunette friend. Regina would have their heads!

"The things you do for friendship," She mentally lamented. 

With that they unfurled two long, thick ropes and tossed them through the opening of an open window. Next was the hard part, actually climbing. While Snow had no problem, being strong as an ox, Cinderella struggled thanks to her dainty limbs caused by years of not exactly eating like a king. 

Eventually the pair made it to the top and caught their bearings on the windowsill before sliding down the ropes. While the princess landed solidly on the ground like a cat, the blonde was lucky enough to land right in the nearby velvet chair on her butt. 

"We made it," Cinderella gasped in relief before she noticed a certain someone was looking off in space. "Snow?" She then looked over the shoulder of her friend to see what the fuss was about and was immediately caught off-guard by a tree sprouting in the middle of the room. What's stranger was that the leaves were paper white!

"This wasn't here before," Snow said confusedly, raising her brow at her friend. "How is a tree growing out of marble?" Cinderella responded in a tone laced with suspicion.

"I don't know, but she must be up to something."

With that they set out about the room in search of clues for what had befallen the king. Snow was propping up the numerous paintings in search of a safe, and Cinderella was tapping all the floorboards in hope one was hollow. This went on until the creaking of the door could be heard along with the light of a lantern, as one of Regina's little bear henchmen came in via broom.

Thankfully the two women were in close proximity, allowing them to take cover under the desk together. For a tense moment, the two held their breath while huddled together, but just when they thought they were in the clear the little bear made a sharp turn and looked back at the rope protruding out of the window.

"Huh, you weren't here before," he said in an oddly adorable voice while coming to fly up to the rope, before turning the light in their basic direction. However, fast reflexes proved yet again to be a god send and they were able to turn to the other side of the table, and eventually the henchmen left, leaving the princess and maid to their mission.

As they went to stand up, Snow hit her head on the bottom side of the desk revealing a trapdoor as a leather-bound journal slid out into her hand. There was a moment of silence as they looked at each other in shock. Did they just find the key to saving the kingdom by accident. Yep.