7. cards on the table

The two looked on in horror at the wooden monstrosity knocking down tree's in a blind rage in front of them. It was only when it smashed the log they had been sitting on did Merlin shout "Run!" and grabbed Cinderella's hand, tugging her off to the side where they broke into a dead sprint. 

Unfortunately, not only did it give chase, but it did so at an impressive pace.  "What is that?" she asked as they ran, coming to a tree trunk that sloped down towards the river. "This kingdom has got a serious monster problem," he yelled back as they slid down the trunk, only for the monster to step on it, effectively sending them flying.

The pair landed on a rocky surface only to go sliding downwards, but just as it looked like they were about to collide with a stone, they fell down into a crevice in the ground. "You alright?" Cinderella asked him to which he responded with a simple "No," and much painful groaning as he walked forward on wobbly feet. 

Merlin eventually climbed to the top and offered a hand to help her out. "Thank you," she grunted as she came to stand. "Pleasure m'lady," he responded but the two walked forward only to immediately recoil as a wall was revealed to be the bark monster. 

It reached down a hand to grab them, but they successfully dodged and began to run upwards, before a second monster blocked their path. In retaliation, Merlin sent a bolt of lighting at it's leg, the creature loosing it's balance and falling...in their direction!

They instantly bolted the other direction and as the second monster flew above their heads, it collided with the first.

The two let their guard down, sharing a victorious high five and Merlin jumping up before a THIRD monster came from the woods, causing Cinderella and Merlin to take off again with three on their tails.

"What do they want besides smashing us?" Merlin asked as they ran.

"My best guess would be my shoes!" She responded, picking up her pace. Hey, she could only go so fast in heels.

As they continued running, Merlin noticed a stack of rocks that could easily become a rock slide, and he took aim with a lighting bolt, however it barely made a dent. "The old me would have nailed that!"

He spook to soon, as the monster trailing behind had an outpouring of rocks come down onto him, sending him over the cliff into the waters below. Merlin looked on in both amazement and disbelief as he ran backwards."You just got Merlined!" This turned into a scream however as one of the monsters sent a rock flying towards them, it colliding with the earth in front of them, missing the two by a hair.

They stood for a second in shock, before Merlin got up and ran around. "Hurry!" The two remaining threats continued to fling projectiles at them, the two somehow always dodging but at the expense of being ending up at the far end of the path. Seeing only one way out, the wizard ran up to the blonde. "Cinderella, close your eyes. Trust me!"

Instantly obeying, the girl sealed her eyes shut, Merlin transforming into a human and destroying the boulder that was about to hit them. "That was to close."

Cinderella went to turn around but the wizard grabbed her arm and pulled her away so they were back to back. "Don't look at me," his eyes then scanned the area and found and opening. "You see that tree on the other side of the bridge?"

"Yeah."

"On my signal, run towards it as fast as you can and don't look back."

Her eyes widened and her heart clenched at that. "What! No I can't leave you again!"

"You have to, please," he assured her. "Look right at that tree until I say it's safe. Promise you won't look."

"I promise," she said, following his instructions and locking her eyes on the tree. After a few tense moments he gave her the signal. "Now," and Cinderella darted forward, never looking back as much as she wanted to. As much as she worried for him though, she knew she had to put her trust in Merlin.