Chapter 2 - 🌺

"Could you get me some more water?" Jessica asks while sitting on my couch and hugging her knees.

"Yeah, sure." I say before walking to the kitchen to pour her another glass of water.

After I hand her the water, I take a seat next to her on the couch and place my hands in my lap. We sit in silence for a couple of minutes and then she speaks up.

"He cheated on me." She says, more to herself than to me as she stares down into her cup of water. "He cheated on me with the girl who used to flirt with him in high school even though we were together. She never did like me because he chose me but in the end, she won."

She takes a deep breath and closes her eyes as tears falls down her face, "I thought we were going to get married and be together forever. I know he was a total douche because of how he used to treat me but I thought... I tho-"

"I know." I say softly as I wrap my arms around her shaking body. "I'm sorry, Jess. You don't deserve what he did to you. You deserve more than this."

She lets out a little laugh, "You don't have to hide your excitement, Catherine. I know you're thrilled that you don't have to be around him anymore."

I move my head back with furrowed brows, "I'll admit, I am happy about not seeing his stupid face again but if hurting you was the price for that, then I would tolerate him everyday for the rest of my life."

She shakes her head while saying, "I just... I don't understand why he would do that to me. Especially two days before our wedding."

"Can I be honest with you?" I ask while sitting up straighter.

She shrugs her shoulders and mumbles, "I guess."

I take her hands in mine and give them a gentle squeeze, "You weren't supposed to get engaged to Brian and then spend the rest of your life with him. He didn't even love you."

"Seriously? I know you didn't like us together but you don't have to rub it in my face." She says as she yanks her hands out of mine.

I shake my head and let out a laugh as I grab ahold of her hands again, "I didn't mean it like that. What I meant is that, if someone loves you and is supposed to be with you then that person shouldn't cheat on you. You don't cheat on someone you love and if you do, you didn't even love that person at all in the first place."

She smiles and gives me a hug before her phone starts to ring. She pulls back from our hug and grabs her phone off of the coffee table in front of us before she rolls her eyes and ignores the call.

"Brian?" I ask even though I already know that it's most likely him. She nods her head and lets out a huge sigh while leaning back into the couch.

He's been calling her nonstop since last night and he even called me a few times, but we haven't answered any of his calls. My phone starts ringing not even five seconds later and I just decline the call.

"You know what?" Jessica asks while sitting up straight.

I cross my arms over my chest, "No, what?"

"I don't know why he wanted to marry me but you're right. Brian never loved me." She says as she stands up and places her hands on her hips. "And I do deserve better. So I'm going to call everyone, tell them that the wedding is off and then I'm going to go out and see if I can find someone who will actually love me."

"Umm, don't you want to just focus on yourself for now?" I hesitantly ask her with a confused look on my face.

She shrugs her shoulders, "Why? I'm not getting any younger. I want to spend my life with someone who loves me and will treat me like I'm the most precious thing in their life."