Chapter 5 - 🌺

As I stand frozen in shock on the beach with Jake, phone pressed against my ear, a million questions are running through my mind. How did he get this number? Where is he? Does he know where I'm at? How is he even calling me?

"Cat?" The sound of Jakes voice snaps me out of my thoughts and I quickly hang up the phone before blocking the number. "Who was it?"

"No one. They had the wrong number." I tell him a little too fast.

"Hmm... alright." He looks at me with suspicion but doesn't question me about it any further. "Are you ready to go back now?"

I nod my head and give him a weak smile, "Yeah, I'm getting pretty tired."

"Let's go then." He says and we continue walking down the beach.

Once we get back, we each take turns showering before changing and going back into the bedroom. I stop short when my eyes land on Jake and I look at him in confusion.

"What are you doing?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Going to bed. What does it look like?" He responds before rolling his eyes at me.

I look around the room and hesitantly say, "But there's only one bed."

"Good job. You've pointed out the obvious." He tells me in a sarcastic tone.

A sigh escapes my lips, "Where am I supposed to sleep?"

"I don't really care where you sleep. In the bed, on the floor, on the couch..." He pauses before looking up at me from where he's laying. "Outside."

"I'm not sleeping outside." I immediately tell him with a huff of annoyance.

"Well then get in the bed and be quiet. I'm trying to get some sleep. I have to work in the morning." He says which instantly grabs all of my attention.

"No." I tell him as he gets comfortable on the bed. "We agreed you were going to have some fun and tomorrow, we're going snorkeling."

"Snorkeling?" He raises an eyebrow at me. "I don't do snorkeling."

"Apparently you don't do a lot of things." I mumble underneath my breath but I'm sure he heard me anyways.

"Look, I'm going to sleep." He says while shutting off the lamp on the nightstand beside him. "Whether you choose to sleep in the bed or not is up to you. I don't care what you decide but don't expect me to be some kind of a gentleman and sleep on the hard floor while you get to sleep on the bed. It's not going to happen."

I let out a sigh before getting on the bed, grabbing some pillows and placing them between our bodies, "Fine, but you stay on your side of the bed. Do not come towards me in the middle of the night."

He scoffs at what I said and turns away from me, "Don't worry. That's not going to be a problem."

Throughout the night, I kept tossing and turning. I couldn't stop thinking about the phone call that I got after dinner. After some time I finally managed to go to sleep and surprisingly, it was one of the best sleeps that I've ever had.

Opening my eyes the next morning, I find myself unwilling to move from the position that I'm in as warmth surrounds me. Only when I feel the weight of an arm hung across my body do I realize, I'm laying on Jakes naked chest with his arm holding me tight against him.

"Umm, Jake?" I call out and look up to see him sleeping. He looks so peaceful compared to how serious he always looks when he's awake.

His hair is messy but it still manages to make him look good. His lips are slightly parted and his face is relaxed. He has very small bags underneath his eyes that you can tell he got from how much he works.