Chapter 4 - 🌺

Jake and I are both standing across from each other looking over the other with wide eyes. God, how does he manage to look so good yet his attitude is so bad?

"You look..." He pauses and I wait for him to finish his sentence. His eyes roam over my entire body one more time before they land on my face and he clears his throat. "You look good."

"Thanks." I nervously tell him, shifting from one foot to the other. "So do you."

He shakes his head as if to clear his thoughts and says, "A minute longer and I would've left you here. Let's go before we're late."

I hurry out of the door after him and we make our way to the St. Regis beach restaurant. Once we get there, a waiter walks up to us with a polite smile on his face, "Hello. My name is, Daniel. I'll be your waiter for tonight."

I smile back at him and say, "Hi, we have a reservation under..."

"Brian and Jessica." Jake finishes off my sentence when he notices my hesitation.

"Ahh, so you're the newlyweds." Daniel says as his face lights up with recognition.

My eyes shift over to Jake and all I manage to say for some reason is, "Umm..."

"That's right." Jake tells him while casually slipping his arm around my waist and pulling me closer to his side.

Daniel nods his head as he looks between us and says, "You two make a lovely couple. Please allow me to show you to your table."

He leads us across the beach, passing by many other tables before we get to a more private spot away from the other people. There's a candlelit pathway that leads us to our table right in front of the water with an amazing view of the night sky.

Jake pulls my chair out for me and for a second, I actually thought that he was being a gentleman. Then I remembered that we're supposed to be newlyweds so I'm sure he just did it for show.

"Here are your menus." Daniel says while placing two menus down in front of Jake and I. "Can I get you both anything to drink while you choose what you want to order?"

"Just some water for now. Thank you." I tell him and he nods his head.

"Of course." He responds before walking away from our table to get us some water.

I turn to Jake who's currently looking down at his menu, "So..."

"Shouldn't you be deciding what you want to eat?" He immediately asks, probably hoping to avoid conversation.

"What's the rush?" I question with a raised eyebrow as I cross my left leg over my right leg.

He scratches his chin, still not looking up from his menu and says, "Well, the sooner we finish here, the sooner I can get back to the villa and continue working."

"Your assistant is right. You do work too much." I point out, finally making him look up at me.

He puts the menu down and narrows his eyes at me, "My assistant is annoying. A lot like you are."

"At least I have better manners than you do." I tell him but then immediately regret it. I'm being such an ass. He's right. I am kind of annoying now that I think about it.

He raises a perfect eyebrow before telling me, "I didn't get to where I am now by having good manners."

I breath out a long sigh and sit up straighter in my chair, "Can I ask you something?"

"You're going to ask regardless of what I say but let me give you my answer anyways." He places his hands on the table and looks me straight in my eyes. "No."