Chapter 1

The Eighteenth Ward...

A group of three walked down a street alley, it was dark, lights were flickering. In the distance lights flicker as the sound of metal beams striking something ring out against the noise of the busy district. Interesting things had gone down but none more interesting than what was about to happen.

"Go, run," the first person of the three, a man with graying black hair and an average building, shouted. Beside him a woman, she too had a few gray streaks running through her hair and even more around the base of her ponytail. To there immediate right a young man seventeen at most stood confused as to what was happening, the people in front of them were supposed to be friends.

"No, You and I are doing this together Take," the woman growled, eyes shifting slightly to narrow slits tinted a red color. The man frowned, eyes gaining a similar glow.

Their son, the boy, on the other hand was tense, Take was a very rare think to hear for him. Shintake would have fit better as it was the man's real name and the basis for their entire life." Mom dad what's going on?" the teen mustered the courage to asked as the suited individuals in front of them held out their suitcases a button on the handle being pressed in.

"I told you to run didn't I? Get out of here now while you still can, Yato," his father growled a stirring coming from under the gray-brown suit jacket he was wearing.

"What do you mean? They are only CCG; guys we have nothing to worry about," Yato, the teenaged son in the black jacket and blue jeans tried to point out. He failed to notice however that the operatives were far from good guys.

"Just get going you shouldn't have to see this," his mother turned, revealing her eyes black with red pupils, to her sole child. He was taken aback, black eyes with red pupils they were the sign of..of..a Ghoul.

"He's not going anywhere. You Ghouls have been causing a lot of trouble inside this ward!" the first CCG agent said as the suitcase chattered to life. It shredded the silvery outside to reveal a heavy iron blade that needed both hands to carry.

"Ghouls? What does he mean by that?" the blonde haired teenager was obviously awed by the accusations. His father's jacket shredded to reveal a tail-like appendage lashing out from left to right, red in color. His mother's short pink jacket was torn away as well revealing a corkscrew-like shape upon her left arm, its hue a shimmering purple-red.

"Guess we couldn't hide it forever. Maybe in the twentieth but not here," his father sighed as the second CCG agent's case rattled to life. It expanded into a strange grasper that shone a pale green.

"It'd be better if you didn't know, Yattori. Which is why we've kept you sheltered," his mother's face was sunken slightly filled with sorrow that should have never been there. The two agents did not care Ghouls were Ghouls, and in an area notorious for S-Class Ghouls it was too risky to even give an inch.

"I-I'm a Ghoul too! No this can't be real!" he took a few steps back stunned. Both parents nodded at one another assuming a defensive stance around him. Thoughts of everything raced through his mind how could it be.

'Ghouls have a great sense of smell,' Yattori noted staring around at the events before him.

Like a flood memories fluttered in.

"Yato what do you think is for lunch?" one of his friends from school, his best friend Tatsu, asked.

His nose had cringed and picked up on every subtle scent in the cafeteria. It was savory but also salty and it almost smelt sweet as well." Some sort of pork dish," Yattori responded having taken into account the sweet smells of cologne and perfume in the hall.