going to the dentist-requested

"Truth or dare," Your older sister, Ariana, asks you, a wicked grin across her face. Courtney, your best friend, covered her mouth with her hand, trying to hold in her laugh. It was a Sunday afternoon, and you were hanging out with Ariana and Courtney, having fun. You were playing Monopoly, until Ariana suggested that you guys play truth or dare.

"Truth," You groaned. Ever since Ariana dared you to drink spoiled milk when you were younger—which resulted in you being sick for a week—you never picked 'dare' again.

"C'mon, don't be a pussy. It's not that bad. I'll give you 20 bucks."

"Fine. Dare." 

"Alright," Ariana and Courtney exchanged a look. They must've planned something. "I dare you to kiss Courtney."

Your face immediately turned red with embarrassment. You've had the biggest crush on Courtney ever since 6th grade, and you thought that you hid it well. Apparently not though, because Ariana and Courtney must've known.

"Dare accepted." You lifted your chin and willed for your face to stop turning red. Courtney giggled and winked at you, inching towards you. Slowly, you brought your lips close to hers. Ariana was laughing so hard that she was hiccuping, but you ignored her. Your lips were only a centimeter away from your crush's, and you can feel her hot breath on your skin.

Just as you were about to kiss Courtney, you felt an intense pain in your back tooth. You abruptly pulled away from her, clasping the side of your mouth with your hand. 

"What happened, Y/N?" Courtney tried to peel your hand away from your face, but you only winced in pain and pushed her away. The prickles of pain that were shooting up your skull made it hard to talk, but you managed to choke out a few words.

"My tooth, it hurts." It was hurting you so much that you began to cry, and Courtney put her arm around you comfortingly.

"Let's go to the dentist," She decided, helping you stand up. At that, you began to sob uncontrollably. Dentists terrified you, but no one knew about your fear except for Courtney. You couldn't let Ariana know. She'd tease you for the rest of your life.

Despite your wailing, Ariana and Courtney carried you into Ariana's car and drove you to the nearest clinic.

When you arrived at the clinic, Ariana disappeared into a room, but you were in too much pain and terror to notice or care. Courtney held you in her arms and whispered in your ear. After a few agonizing minutes, Ariana appeared in front of you, wearing a dental mask and gown. You let out a shriek and dashed off into the washroom. Your big sister was a dentist, but she had never told you about it. 

"Y/N, come out!" Courtney chased after you but you locked the door behind you. She sighed and tried again in a gentler voice. "Y/N, please come out. I know you're scared, but your tooth is only going to get worse if you don't do anything about it."

You whimpered and curled up in a miserable ball in the corner of the bathroom. You heard Courtney knock on the door, but you ignored her. 

"I'm gonna stand out here, and I'm not leaving until you come out." The knocks finally stopped, but you knew that Courtney was still there. You knew that there was no way out of this, so you stood up and unlocked the door with a shaking hand. The doorknob immediately turned, and Courtney strolled in and embraced you. "You're gonna be alright. Ariana is just gonna fix your tooth up. You'll feel better and then you can get back to kissing me." She added with a smirk.

Slowly, she led you to one of the rooms and sat you down on the dental chair. Ariana was setting up one of the machines, tapping her foot in a steady rhythm with a look of annoyance on her face. She got me set up while Courtney stands beside me, stroking my hair.

"Open your mouth," Your sister instructed, but you bit your lip and clenched your jaw, which only caused more pain to shoot up your tooth. Ariana took one of her gruesome-looking tools and tried to pry your mouth open with it, but your lips wouldn't budge. "Y/N! For fuck's sake, will you just obey me for a second?! You're what, 18? Stop acting like a little kid!"

"Hey, don't yell at her like that," Courtney's voice was kind but firm. "Can't you see that she's afraid?" She gestured for Ariana to look at your face, and your sister's face softened as she saw your swollen eyes and blotchy cheeks. Ariana leaned over and hugged you, kissing your forehead with her soft, plump lips.

"Don't be scared little sis, I would never hurt you. I'm so sorry that I didn't realize you were scared of dentists. I promise I won't hurt you, I promise." She held out her pinky and you took it in yours. Courtney handed a tissue to her, and she dabbed at your face with it, wiping away your tears. 

"Be brave, Y/N." Courtney slipped her hand into yours and gripped it tightly. When Ariana asked you to open your mouth again, you obeyed and tried to sit as still as you could. 

"Shit, that's a bad cavity." She whispered to herself. Unfortunately, you heard her, and you whimpered in fear, clamping your mouth shut on her tool. "Um Y/N, I may have to give you a numb shot, or else fixing it will hurt a lot."

Your lips trembled and you started to bawl again. Needles were another horrible fear of yours. You tried to run off to the washroom again, but Courtney held you back and pressed you into the chair. 

"The numb shot isn't going to hurt as much as if you don't fix that tooth. I'll hold your hand the entire time." She squeezed you hand and covered your eyes with her other hand. "You don't have to look at it, just relax and it'll be done soon."

You were hysterical with fear, but Ariana held your mouth open and you felt a poke in your gums. Suddenly all the pain lifted off and your whole mouth was numb.

"Good girl," Ariana patted your arm and put the needle down on her tray. She immediately got to work, cleaning out and filling in your tooth. In no time, it was all finished and you sat up and let of a sigh of relief. 

"See? It wasn't that bad." Courtney helped you off the chair and walked you to the waiting room to wait for Ariana. She kissed you on the cheek and you automatically turned and placed your lips on hers. She let out a little gasp but kissed you back, her lips warm on your cold, numb ones.

Just then, Ariana walked into the room and paused at the scene going on in front of her. 

"Aww, you guys are so cute." She smiled and then pouted. "Oh shit, now I have to give you 20 dollars."

You chuckled and nuzzled Courtney's shoulder affectionately, your face lit up with a grin.

"I love you Courtney."

"I love you more."

Your grin became even wider at that, and you asked her the question you've been waiting to ask her for 6 years.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

"Yes."

Ariana watched the scene with tears of happiness rolling down her cheeks. Maybe this whole trip to the dentist was a good thing after all.