chapter two ❲part 2❳

a/n: this one's long. be prepared for the ride!

"i'm hungry." joohyun says, clutching onto the blanket wrapped around herself. she puts a hand over her eyes and tilted her head up. it was a bright day and she thought she would go search for some food around the forests. there might be some fruits, berries and such present and maybe even animals. though the thought of killing an innocent animal for food disgusts her, she's running out of food herself and needs to ration it out. good thing her zombie friend wasn't much of a human food eater.

at the topic of her zombie friend, seulgi. is seulgi hungry? if she was, joohyun would probably be dead during the night, worse would be right now. does seulgi need to eat every so often? joohyun wanted to ask but she was shy to do so, even though she's had small talks with seulgi last night. the zombie could barely talk anyway.

"seulgi." joohyun called out. the zombie was crouching, poking an earthworm with a stick, clearly distracted. seulgi continues poking the worm until it crawled onto the stick, circling its body around it, "seulgi?" nervously, joohyun approached the zombie. seulgi turned to look at her with the stupid smile again, extending out an arm, a hand holding a stick that had a worm, "kyah-!" joohyun was able to cover her mouth in time before a scream would be released once again, "get that away from me!"

seulgi sticks out her bottom lip, waving the stick a bit as if saying that the little worm means no harm to the frightened woman. "i-i don't care. that's probably worse than your random blood puddles on the ground." seulgi looks down and saw a couple of red spots on the ground coming from her blood dripping mouth and some open wounds.

"p-please get it awayyy" joohyun whines, showing a bit of her childish side that gets seulgi flustered and blushing in her zombie brain, maybe not since her brain might be rotten but oh well, at least she got to see pretty all cute now.

seulgi takes the earthworm between her index finger and thumb, crouching back down to release the worm back to the wild, safe and away from joohyun. it would probably be eaten by the predators which are birds but seulgi just shrugs. it's the same with humans these days. they think they are safe yet the possibilities of a zombie capturing them were never going to be zero. joohyun is an exemption. seulgi who is considered a predator in this world never attempted to hurt joohyun, a prey to zombies. that's why she's going to protect this attractive lady at all cost. she doesn't know why but-

"now, can we just go and search for some food? i bet you're good at that--" joohyun pauses. she already regrets saying what might offend seulgi. a zombie, whose instincts are to hunt humans to eat as their only source of food. seulgi wasn't affected by it at all. she knew she would hear it one day, even as a zombie-the only zombie who has a mind of its own different from the rest. so she just nods meekly.

joohyun says a small apology to the zombie, standing a few feet away from her. the apology was barely audible from the distance it was heard by the human but seulgi heard it clear. seulgi approaches joohyun. joohyun closes her eyes prepared to be faced with what's supposed death was instead a cold hand brushing against her cheek.

"s-soft.."

joohyun flushes and her body shrinks at the compliment. it was weird being touched by a zombie, but it was seulgi. joohyun knew that seulgi wasn't going to hurt her, yet. seulgi's right eye sparkles when she saw joohyun's flustered and vulnerable state. i could eat her up right now! wait-that's not what i meant! i mean another way! n-no-not that way too!

seulgi grips her hair, in a dilemma. joohyun looks up at the taller zombie, "s-seulgi? are you okay?" seulgi's busy mind stops, she stares down at the smaller woman in front of her with watery eyes, so frail and precious. seulgi wants to keep her forever.