chapter four ❲part 2❳

they stayed at the home for the night. after eating, joohyun was fast asleep inside a bedroom upstairs, curled up inside a blanket. seulgi just watches over her on a chair beside the bed. she gazed at joohyun, sleeping in tranquil as if nothing was to bother her. seulgi leaned back on the chair and a sudden sting pain on her shoulder jolts her again. her hand was already on her shoulder. she stood up from the chair and went out of the room, heading to the bathroom.

she closed the door shut, hiding her pained self in the dark small room.

she found herself staring at a mirror. the only reflection visible was her left eye, glowing bright red. the only source of light was coming from the moon that pierced through the small window above. she breathes out a shivering sigh, removing her jacket leaving herself in a sleeveless shirt. she saw the small patch of blood on her shoulder become larger. she knew this would hurt more since she had carried joohyun but she bears the pain ever since.

‘i-i should cover this up and change clothes don't i..?’ 

seulgi opens the faucet and cups water in her hands washing off the stains of blood on her face, arms, and body. she was aware that her skin was slightly turning from the greenish to a more.. human-like skin color. it was taking the time. she also saw her previous wounds heal up on their own. even the deep ones she had but why was this bullet hole not healing. she wasn't able to feel pain before. it was odd yet it felt like a good change.

once she finishes washing off she went out of the bathroom, walking into another bedroom that might have spare clothes that she prays to have the right size to fit her. she rummaged through a closet and found her new attire. she took out the plain white shirt and black hoodie along with some pants and shoes(that may have belonged to the previous owner). 

she took care of her bullet wound by wrapping it up tightly with the cloth she ripped up from her old shirt. after that, she carefully puts on her new clothes wary of her shoulder might giving her pain again.

seulgi didn't want to joohyun to end up worrying about her. she was already a burden by being a zombie. half-zombie to be exact. she looked at her reflection in the mirror again, examining her cleaner features. her fingers traced the swollen veins in the left part of her face, “how.. did i even..—” a shocking pulse throws her back from the mirror. she covers her left eye with a hand, holding in the pain she felt inside. 

a series of scenes flashed before her when she was still a kid. first, she was taken down by men in black. second, she was in a glass cylinder, surrounded by unknown blue-colored liquid, a mask on her mouth connected by a tube that leads outside of the glass container she was in. 

lastly, she was tied up on a bed, tubes from machines connected to her body. her mouth was covered with a mask. she felt weak and vulnerable, her body was not moving, only her eyes were able to. she was surrounded by men wearing white, masks on their faces. they were talking but seulgi wasn't able to hear them, all she could hear were mumbles. she saw a man approaching her with a syringe.  

“subject 02ksg, please work.” the man says before injecting some type of liquid into her body. until everything blacked out.

she gets up from the floor with a gasp. seulgi's chest rose up and down—breathing heavily, she clutched her chest.

“i-i'm..”

joohyun heads out the home first and following behind her was the hooded zombie, seeming a little out of it ever since she woke up. seulgi kept glancing away every time their eyes met. even when she complimented her new outfit, seulgi just nodded with a faint smile. she worries that it may have been the conversation she had with yeri. perhaps seulgi thought about her persuading plan won't work?

'i'll talk about this with seulgi later.'

joohyun treks along the sidewalk, often looking back from her shoulder to check on seulgi. seulgi, meanwhile, has her head hanging low, following the feet in front of her before it halted. confused, seulgi decided to look up and everything froze. joohyun was stuck in place, not moving an inch of her body yet you could see her trembling. 

a horde of zombies was staring right at them, especially towards joohyun. before they could all stagger towards them, seulgi straightaway hauled joohyun into her arms, dashing away from the quickening pace of the zombies. seulgi grits her teeth, the pain was back but she had to hold on. just for a while. she gazed at the quiet woman still stunned by the encounter. 

a loud growl was heard behind her, not from the horde of zombies but a mutant. she looked back and stared wide in horror when she saw the monstrous creature, bloodthirsty for the human in her arms. its body was all black the only color contrasting it were the red pupils and sharp white(but stained with blood) teeth, “s-seulgi—” 

“d-don't worry..” fuck, seulgi mentally cursed. 

she ran faster, she couldn't even believe she could run this quick. zombies she passed by tried to reach for joohyun, drawing out their nails to be able to scratch the human but with seulgi's quick reflexes joohyun wasn't harmed. instead, she was. she grits her teeth and held joohyun closer to her. 

the heavy stomps of the mutant were getting closer. seulgi needs to do find a safe place for joohyun to stay before the horde and the mutant catches up. there only exists a few mutants and she was glad for that or else things would have gone wrong now.

seulgi eyes an alleyway, it was narrow enough for her and joohyun to fit and not for the mutant to be able to. she puts down joohyun and wipes a bit of blood on her shoulder, which a zombie caused earlier and smeared it on joohyun's cheek, ‘i should have done this earlier..’ seulgi breathes out a puff of air in relief when she heard the footsteps pass by the alleyway. 

joohyun just stared at her in shock, “i-i..–” a sudden kick above her head shocked her even more. when she looked back she saw a zombie just lay dead on the floor(well it was already dead), “seulgi, are you—seulgi!”

joohyun moves over to seulgi slumped against the rough wall. joohyun's eyes water when she saw all the wounds seulgi ended up having. she grabbed her bag that seulgi carried on one shoulder, taking out the medkit she has, “w-we shouldn't have g-gone out today.. i-i'm sorry, s-seulgi.. i-i'm really..” joohyun's lips tremble and she wipes away the running tears on her cheek. 

seulgi chuckles weakly, “i-i'm fine.. pretty.” 

“n-no you're not!” joohyun takes the hem of seulgi's hoodie and takes it off the zombie. joohyun shivered from the sight of more blood all over seulgi's shirt. she also takes the shirt off of seulgi and something caught her attention, it was the cloth around seulgi's shoulder, “y-you weren't.. supposed to find out... i-i didn't want p-pretty to be worried about me..” joohyun covered her mouth with her palm. she didn't know if she should be touched by this confession or even more worried. seulgi was keeping this from her.

“y-you should've just told me..” joohyun mutters and unwrapped the cloth, revealing the bullet that has been in seulgi's body for weeks, it was almost near her chest but luckily was inches away, “s-seulgi..” she began to treat seulgi's wounds the best she can. seulgi once told her that her about her body healing fast, still, she wanted to make sure.

“i-it's my promise to p-protect, jo-joohyun..”

joohyun smiles, it was the first time she ever heard her real name from seulgi. she was always called pretty by her ever since their first meeting. it sounded nice to hear it.

“you won't only have a promise but i p-promise to protect you as well seulgi..”

joohyun crawled in front of seulgi, staring right into seulgi's different colored eyes. seulgi stares back at her with warmth, coupled with a hint of affection. the human kneeled and cups seulgi's left cheek, the other placed softly on the zombie's injured shoulder. 

“you're not a zombie that people perceive you to be. you're different from them. i'm seeing your change, seulgi. i want to make you feel human.”

joohyun leans in, her eyes closing shut. seulgi follows. 

soon their lips meet. they shared a kiss that would mark the start of their new relationship.

a/n: and this is chapter four! i hope you'll like it especially since the last scene happened ;) thank you for reading and I hope you stick around for future chapters.