2

The next day you woke up with a smile. Anne and your brother got along great and best of all... Gilbert was finally coming back.

you jumped out of bed and got dressed. you rushed down the stairs and ate your breakfast.

Tyler had gone to school already and you father had just left for work. so it was just you and your mother.

"Gilbert's coming back today" you said taking a bite from your toast. "I'm leaving early so I can walk with him" you said smiling.

"I wonder how John's doing" your mother said frowning slightly.

"yea... he's probably not doing better" you said as your smile faded away.

you sighed as you finished your breakfast "I'm off" you said grabbing your lunch and schoolbooks.

"bye honey!" your mother yelled when you walked out the door.

you hummed softly walking towards Gilbert's house. you'd missed him alot these past days and couldn't wait to spend your lunches with him again.

you knocked on his door with a smile. seconds later it opened and you were met with your best friend.

"Y/n" he smiled as you jumped in his arms hugging him tight.

"I missed you" you said as Gilbert chuckled taking in your scent and feeling his cheeks heat up a little.

"I missed you too" he said before you pulled away.

"just a second let me grab my books" Gilbert said rushing towards the kitchen table. you waited outside.

"I'll be back right after school dad" you heard him say before walking outside.

you smile at him. "how was it?" you asked as you started walking.

"it was beautiful" Gilbert said smiling.

"and how's your father?" you asked frowning.

"he's just... glad to be back" Gilbert said clenching his jaw and staring into the distance.

you bit your lip and layed your hand on his shoulder causing Gilbert to turn his head in your direction.

you send him a sympathetic smile. he returned it looking at your hand. his whole shoulder was tingling.

you took your hand of his shoulder and walked on.

"did anything interesting happen here?" Gilbert asked.

"there's a new girl." you said.

"and?" Gilbert asked giving you a look.

"you know I don't like gossip. just find out yourself" you said.

Gilbert chuckled. "at least tell me if she's nice." he said.

"she is" you said smiling. "why there she is right now... talking to..." you squinted your eyes. "Billy." you frowned as you saw her stumbling back and dropping her books to the ground.

"that can't be good, come on," you said grabbing Gilbert's hand and dragging him along.

Gilbert's eyes widened as he stared at your joined hands. butterflies erupting in his stomach.

"morning Anne, Billy" you said giving him a look.

"everything alright here?" Gilbert asked still holding your hand.

"I-" Anne started picking up her books. you let go of Gilbert's hand and helped her.

"are you alright?" you whispered. Anne nodded slowly.