4

The next day you were completely exhausted, but you promised Gilbert you'd come, so you got out of bed and put on a red dress and tied a ribbon in your hair.

Tyler and your father were already working and you could hear your mother singing in the kitchen.

you sighed as you walked over to the guestroom. you knocked on the door to hear a small sniffle.

"come in." you heard Ruby say.

you opened the door. "morning Ruby, do you wanna come down and eat breakfast, I'm going over to the boys this afternoon, if you wanna join me-"

you got cut off. "Gilbert will be there right?" she asked.

you nodded.

"then I'm coming," she said jumping out off bed.

"you can borrow one of my dresses if you like, my room is just across the hallway," you said before walking downstairs leaving her alone.

she sniffled and walked over to your room.

she looked around at your nightstand. a picture of your family was on top of it next to a picture of you and Gilbert of two years ago at christmas.

she stared at it in jealousy and walked over to your closet, grabbing a light pink dress before running out of your room with tears streaming down her face.

she quickly got dressed and walked down the stairs wiping away her tears.

"where are you going?" Ruby asked as you guys went outside.

"we're picking up Anne, she's coming with us," you said smiling.

Ruby whined. "I don't wanna be around her," she said.

you sighed. "why not?" you asked.

"I don't want anyone to think I'm her friend," Ruby said.

"why do you care what others think, Anne's a really sweet girl who put her own life in danger to save your house!" you yelled, annoyed at her, like always.

Ruby gulped and stayed quiet for the rest of the walk.

you arrived at green gables and knocked on the door. Marilla opened it and send you a small smile.

"good morning, miss Cuthbert, we're here for Anne. we were wondering if she wanted to come with us to visit the boys." you smiled.

"come in and please, call me Marilla," she said.

you nodded as you stepped inside immediately smelling freshly baked scones.

"Anne was just about to go there," Marilla said as she returned to her work in the kitchen.

Anne smiled at you with a basket full of scones in her hands.

When you arrived at the Gillis' house you saw Gilbert working on top of the roof, you didn't like it one bit, knowing how clumsy the boy could be.

"look it's the freak and her new sister's," Billy yelled. you rolled your eyes.

Gilbert turned around and his face lit up when he saw you.

he immediately came down from the roof as Ruby fell flat on her face. Billy laughed. "that was great!"

you tried to help Ruby up, but she hissed at you to go away. you raised your eyebrows as Gilbert went to help her up.

"hey here, you alright?" he asked brushing off her hat.

"thank you, Gilbert" Ruby said with big sparkling eyes.