8

it's been weeks now since Gilbert left, you hadn't heard of him yet and your father still wasn't feeling better. you started to worry about him, a regular cold didn't last longer than a month. he was coughing alot and he had a fever. to keep your mind of things you worked non-stop at green gables, becoming close friends with Jerry. while you were there you also noticed how much time your brother spent with Anne. you were happy for him, he finally had a friend he could talk about writing with.

the Cuthbert's had taken in boarders. they seemed nice, at least one of them, the other was acting weird, he was always mean to Jerry. you overheard him calling Jerry names and you disliked him ever since.

"morning mother," you said as you walked into the kitchen. "morning sweetheart," she said as she smiled at you while baking bread. "where's Tyler?" you asked frowning, surprised he wasn't reading in his usual spot. "he went to get the doctor, your father still isn't feeling any better. and... well it's not important." your mother turned back to her bread and you frowned slightly.

what is not important?

"I need you to do some chores today," she said. you groaned. "I wanted to go to green gables," you exclaimed causing your mother to chuckle. "I just need you to pick up our mail and to do the laundry," she said as she looked at you again. "I have extra work to do now your father is sick." she added. you sighed. "okay I'll do it, just let me eat some breakfast first."

After breakfast you did the laundry. you hated doing the laundry, but you did it anyways as quickly as possible. you were almost done when you saw your father's handkerchief. there was a blood stain in it. you gasped softly as you threw into the water, making it splash everywhere. your hands were trembling and you quickly started cleaning up the water.

you finished the laundry and went to your parent's bedroom, the door creaked open as you looked at your father. he was sleeping and looked pale. you frowned closing the door and got your coat so you could get to the post office before tea time.

it was starting to get warmer outside and you enjoyed the walk. the fresh air kept your mind of things... like blood in your father's handkerchief. you shook of the thought and looked at the clouds forming above your head.

you reached the post office and asked if your family had any mail. there were three letters, one from your aunt to your mother, one from your father's work and one for you... from Gilbert. your eyes widened as you ripped it open letting your eyes go over the words written in fine handwriting, Gilbert's handwriting.

Dear Y/n,

I'm sure by now, Anne has told you I'm traveling, I'm on a steamer on my way to Trinidad. I'm sorry I left, but it's what my father would've wanted. I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye, I couldn't I was too embarrassed. I'm also sorry I kissed you, I should've never done that. I hope we can forget about it, that we can still be friends, because I love you and I can't lose you.

how are you? how's your family and everyone at school. did you have nice Christmas? I had to work all christmas, but I'm not complaining. I made a new friend here, his name is Bash and he's from Trinidad. I think you'd like him.

I hope I'll see you again soon, but I can't come back yet, I don't wanna be a farmer, I wanna see more of the world. I wish you were here. I'm so sorry for leaving without saying goodbye.
please say you forgive me N/n.
I miss you already.

with love, Gilbert.

there was a small stain on the bottom of the letter, one of Gilbert's tears, because weeks ago when he wrote that letter he couldn't stop from crying.
a second stain formed on the letter, one of your tears, they were streaming down your face as you read the letter again. you were so angry, but you understood, so you decided to forgive him. "miss, are you alright?" one of the men in the post office asked. you nodded quickly wiping your tears and going back home. you needed to talk to Tyler.

you stormed into your house and into the living room. "Tyler I need to talk to yo-" you stopped talking when you saw your mother and Tyler on the couch, crying in eachother's arms. "what's wrong?" you asked frowning.

"come sit," your mother said softly. "i-is this about the blood in dad's handkerchief?" you asked sitting down. "your father is very sick," your mother said, her voice breaking. "w-what does that mean?" you asked as you looked from her to Tyler.

"it... it-" your mother couldn't get her words out so you looked over at Tyler. "it means that he's most likely going to die." Tyler spoke softly his lip trembling. you shook your head.

"no, there has to be something we can do, some kind off medicine," you said as tears started streaming down your face. "there isn't..." your mother said pulling you and your brother into a hug.

"can I see him?" you asked, as your mother softly stroked your hair. "it's contagious honey, " she said sniffling. "so I'm not allowed to see him?" you asked looking up at your mother. "not right now, we have to be careful," she said.

you nodded softly. "I'll start making dinner," your mother said. she stood up and walked into the kitchen wiping her tears away.

you hugged your brother. "you wanted to talk about something?" your brother asked. you shook your head. "it can wait," you said softly as you felt Gilbert's letter in your pocket.

"just do it now, to get my mind of things, besides it sounded important," he said. you sighed softly. "Gilbert wrote to me, I got his letter today," you said slowly taking it out of your pocket. "he's on his way to Trinidad," you said pouting a little.

"I wish he was here to cheer me up" you said. "me too" Tyler said putting an arn around you. "I guess we're gonna have to cheer each other up." you said letting out a soft chuckle. Tyler nodded. "everything is going to be okay."