7

Days had passed and it was almost Christmas. you still hadn't heard from Gilbert, you were absolutely devastated, thinking it was all your fault.

you couldn't even enjoy the storyclub anymore, because Ruby always wrote about Gilbert and then whined about him being gone.

your brother constantly tried to cheer you up, but he wasn't very good at that.

cheering you up was usually Gilbert's job.

you wondered where he went, you've heard him talking about traveling so your first guess was that and you always clung to that idea.

the idea of Gilbert on a boat enjoying life instead of him laying somewhere dead in a ditch. that thought scared you and it kept spinning around in your head, you'd never been this worried in your life.

"Y/n are you awake?" your brother asked as he knocked on your bedroom door.

you sniffed and quickly wiped away your tears. "yes, come in" you mumbled just loud enough for him to hear.

your door creaked open and your brother slowly walked in. "N/n you have to get up or you'll be late for school" he said softly.

you nodded. "yea I know" you said getting out of bed.

your brother send you a small smile before he went downstairs.

your brother let you sit with him at lunch now, he didn't write or studied as much, because he was worried about you. you loved him for it, but it always made you feel so guilty. if Tyler couldn't get into college next year, like he wanted it would be all your fault.

you walked over to your closet and took out a simple dress. you put it on and didn't even bother to do your hair.

you stumbled down the stairs and sat down at the kitchen table, grabbing an apple and sighing softly.

"sweetheart I'm sure he'll come back soon." your mother said.

"how can you be sure. for all I know he could be dead by now!" you yelled.

"you mustn't think like that." you father said looking up from his paper.

"I can't help it, I miss him" you said.

"I know honey" your father said sending you sympathetic smile.

you nodded. "I should go" you said standing up. "I can't be late for school."

you and Tyler slowly walked to school together. "how's Anne doing, since Mr, Cuthbert's heart attack?" you asked.

Tyler looked at you. "she's alright, she went to sell some of her things yesterday, you know because of their finance problems" Tyler said.

"we could help them out with some money" you said. "yea I suggested that to father, he's writing them a check" Tyler said smiling. you nodded. "well I'm glad, I'd hate to see them suffer." you said. you gulped softly as you approached that stupid spot again. where Gilbert kissed you before he left. you still couldn't get it out of your head. you started walking faster and Tyler just followed you without asking questions. he also recognized the spot from when you broke down crying last week.

you walked into the schoolhouse were loud chatter was heard. you threw your coat off and walked over to your desk. you stared at the empty spot on the other side of the classroom, one row in front of you as you clenched your jaw.

you could see Anne looking at you during class, it made you curious at why she suddenly looked so worried. you figured you'd ask her at lunch. you couldn't wait for lunch, and then for school to just be over so you could return to your bed, and cry over your brother's poetry.

at lunch you didn't even have to ask Anne why she stared at you, she immediately grabbed your arm and dragged you outside.
"Anne wha-" you got cut off. "I ran in to Gilbert last weekend" Anne said. your eyes widened. "what? where!?" you asked. "Charlotte town" Anne said.

"is he alright?" you asked, desperate for answers. as you sat down somewhere with anne. "I think so, he has a job but he'll be leaving on a steamer soon." Anne said. "a steamer?" you breathed out. "do you know when?" you asked with wide eyes. "no, but I think you might be to late already." Anne said. "I told him you missed him, he looked very guilty when I told him that" Anne added. "well he should! he didn't even say goodbye." you said letting out a sob.

Anne quickly hugged you. "thank you for telling me," you said. "of course, can I just ask... what happened between you and Gilbert? he looked so hurt when I brought you up." Anne pulled away from the hug looking at you with questioning eyes. "he kissed me... and I pushed him away," you said sighing. "oh..." Anne said softly. "do you wanna talk about it?" she asked. you shook your head. "no, but thank you" you smiled softly. Anne nodded. "come on let's eat lunch."

after school you walked home by yourself, you needed some time to think. Gilbert was going to travel around the world on a steamer and you might never see him again. you clenched your jaw at the thought.

"Tyler, where's father?" you asked when you came home and waljed into the kitchen. "in bed, he wasn't feeling well." Tyler said looking up from his book. "oh... is he alright?" you asked. "it's probably just a cold, why do you need him?" Tyler asked. "oh well I found out that Gilbert is gonna be working on a steamer soon and I thought maybe dad could help me find out which one," you said softly. "a steamer? what on earth is he doing on a steamer?" Tyler frowned. "well he doesn't wanna be a farmer so I guess he's just figuring things out... I don't know he didn't tell me," you said letting out a small chuckle. "I'll ask dad when he's feeling better." you sighed. "any plans?" Tyler asked as he closed his book. "not really," you said. "then we're going to the Cuthbert's, I'm sure they could use some help on the farm!" Tyler said as he stood up and got his coat. you chuckled softly as you followed him towards green gables.

"hello Marilla," you said smiling as she was working in the barn. "oh hello Y/n, Tyler," she said with a sigh. "we thought you could use some help on the farm," Tyler said walking into the barn. you followed him wondering how he knew Marilla so well. "oh there's no need." Marilla said sweeping the sweat of her forehead. "please, we'd love to help and we're bored," you said. "alright then, I'll bring you two some tea." she said as she walked over to the house. "hello?" you raised your eyebrows as you looked up. a boy with brown hair and crinkled clothing came down the ladder. "hi Jerry," your brother said smiling. "Anne isn't here, she's with Diana." Jerry said.

is that a french accent?

"oh I'm not here for Anne, we're here to help," Tyler said smiling. Jerry looked at you and fixed his hat. "I'm Jerry," he said sticking out his hand. "I'm Y/n... it's nice to meet you," you said smiling as you shook his hand. "let's get to work!" Tyler said after a few seconds of silence. "uh yea..." you said, your cheeks heating up a little.

______________________________________

short chapter sorryyyy

please vote or comment. I really appreciate it! ✨

//word count: 1231//