3

The next day Anne didn't come to school. you were worried about her and still slightly mad at Gilbert for being such an idiot.

your brother was quite disappointed when Anne didn't show up. Gilbert only felt relieved because he felt very ashamed.

class was boring as always and you couldn't wait for lunch.

you rested your head on your hand and stared out the window when the other students were reading. well most of them, Gilbert wasn't.

he was staring at you from the corner of his eye. he didn't dare to actually turn his head. he was afraid he would ruin your friendship if he did. that if you found out how he felt about you, you no longer wanted to be around him, so he kept trying to push his feelings away, always failing.

at lunch you sat with Gilbert silently eating as you stared out the window.

the boys were playing some game and you wanted nothing more than to play along.

"Gilbert, can we join them?" you asked as you finished your apple.

"why?" he asked with a small chuckle.

"because I've been sitting behind my desk for hours and it looks fun" you say.

Gilbert frowns.

"please? they won't let me join without you." you say pouting.

"okay fine" Gilbert says chuckling softly.

"come on" you say grabbing his hand and dragging him outside.

Gilbert stares at your joined hands and his face flushes red.

"hey uhh... can we join" Gilbert asks as you approach the boys.

Billy looks at you and frowns. "you wanna join?" Billy asks giving you a judgemental look.

you nod and just smile.

"fine, but if you get hurt it's your own fault" Billy says.

"alright" you say.

"catch!" Billy yells throwing the ball right at your face.

you widen your eyes as you catch it. you've played this game with your father before.

Billy raises his eyebrows as you throw the ball at Gilbert. "you're actually not terrible" he says.

"thanks" you say focusing on the ball.

after lunch you walk back to your desk only to be stopped by Mr. Phillips.

"because of your boyish behavior you can go sit next to Gilbert" he says pointing towards the other side of the classroom.

you raise your eyebrows and grab your stuff walking over to Gilbert.

best punishment ever.

a few girls start giggling, but you ignore them.

Gilbert looks at you confused. "this is my punishment for acting like a boy" you say sitting down.

Gilbert frowns. "Mr. Phillips punished you for playing a game?" he asks.

you nod. "I wouldn't really call this a punishment." you whisper chuckling as class starts.

Gilbert chuckles as he feels his cheeks heat up.

after a few minutes Mr. Phillips realized he made a huge mistake by putting you next to Gilbert, you were constantly whispering and laughing. Mr. Phillips was quite annoyed, but since it was a punishment he wasn't going to send you back to your own desk.