Chapter 1:The spy's brother

Song Dangerous to know by Hillary Duff

Arizona Scottsdale:

David Adams drove down the street through the city in his rented white Porsche Coupe on his way into the old town where the Poison Pen bookstore was located. He wasn't an assassin or CIA agent like his brother Lex was but a first- time thriller author of a debut spy novel called Dicing with Death. He was very excited about his book signing today.

He pulled up along the sidewalk of a two-story red brick stone building that was Poison Pen Bookstore and Poison Pen Press.

After stepping out of the vehicle, he walked around to the back door of the bookstore wearing a brown dress shirt with a leather jacket and jeans. He grabbed the door handle as he walked into the back room and saw a pile of all books that he had signed for the customers. He could hardly wait to make his big entrance.

'Would anyone show up today?' He thought to himself, grabbing one of the books and running his finger over his signature.

Jennifer Peters was medium height with long dark hair and a tan complexion. Today she wore an elegant sweater with dark dress pants. She was the owner of the bookstore and David Adams' editor.

David had picked her for the job since she had been an MI6 agent. Her knowledge of the intel community had certainly helped him in writing his book.

The interior of the bookstore was bookshelves lined with autographed books and copies by the authors who had been there to talk. The walls were made of wood planks with pictures of authors from the ceiling. There also were chairs lined up for customers to sit at.

Jennifer made her way down the aisle passing by people over to a table where David's debut spy thriller set on the table of the new author. There two big chairs on each of the table. She sat down in one of them.

After clearing her throat, she began to address the crowd. "I want to thank you all for coming to this book publication launch party." The crowd cheered and once things had died down, she continued. "You know, the first time I read Dicing with Death, I saw that the author had talent and that he could hook every reader. So please welcome David Adams."

Hearing his cue, David burst through the door and walked down the aisle passing people clapping for him with his book in their hands. He strolled over to the other chair and sat down in. He was surprised to see that a lot of people came to see him.

"So can tell us a little about your book and the main character Mike Sharpie? He seems like a very realistic and great character." Jennifer asked.

"Well you meet Mike in the first chapter. At the start, he's working for the CIA but then goes on the run when he gets framed for a murder of a senator." David answered.

"The first chapter gripped me. I couldn't stop reading. One of the things that I like about your style is that you describe the settings in your book. I also read in your author's notes that you traveled to all these places in the book along with doing some other research. Can you tell us about that?"

David nodded. "Yes. All of the places in the book, I have been too. I also talked to experts on different things that I needed to know about to complete the story."

"So Mike goes on the run trying to avoid assassins after him, that's all I can say. I don't want to spoil all for you. Does anyone have any questions for Mr. Adams here?"

A pale young woman, who was a little taller than average with pitch-black hair and forest green eyes raised her hand. She wore a black t-shirt and dark jeans.

Jennifer saw that she had on a holster that held an IMI Desert Eagle Mark XIX Magnum .50 caliber semi-automatic pistol. She also carried a SOG ops M40TK combat knife with a glassed reinforced handle in her Kydex tactical sheath.