chapter 30: There is no place where espionage not possible

Arizona, Scottsdale

Jennifer pov:

Sitting down in the chair behind her desk she flipped through the rolex until she came to one her assets in the Russian embassy that had helped her a couple times when she needed some intel. Reaching down to the bottom drawer of her desk, she pulled it open removing her burner after entered a ten digital number. She held it up to her ear. Wasn't sure she could trust the asset?

Intelligence was a tricky and dicey business not knowing you can who trust could be dangerous. But the same could be said for an editor. She had dealt with assets before that had tried to betray her own country.

The guy picked up the phone on his desk on the third floor of the Russian Federation. His eyes narrowed as he glanced sideways to see if there was anyone around his desk. There were thought you were out of spy business for good?"

a couple of analyst strolling back and forth probably discussing intel that they had gotten

"Russian desk,"

Jennifer leaned back in the chair at her desk with a tight-lipped smile. "We need to meet I some intel on a Courtney Hansen and who's she working for?"

The foreign clenched his fist. " I thought you were out of spy business for good?"

Jennifer tilted her head, raised her eyebrow. " You know that no leaves the Great game for good,"

It was true still unofficaily she was still an agent for MI6 buut officially she was editor and publisher. There were days when she missed the feel of the adrenaline flowing through her and even all the deep cover ops that she had done before. But what it brought back was David's first book Dicing with death. And maybe even his brother Lex.

The foreign agent nodded quickly. " Okay I'll see what I find out where you want to meet?"

Jennifer thought

for a moment, she was sure that the FSB had agents here. You just never knew for sure these days. The place had to be secure somewhere the FSB surveillance team couldn't tailthem. And easy enough for them to blend in without being spotted.

"Kierland"

The foreign agent ended the convseration as he hung up the phone on his desk. Although this was risky, he knew, he would do it. After a while the agent typed in his password on the computer screen knowing that it would set off alarm someplace. That he didn't right now.

 A few minutes later the screen flashed on. He scrolled up to some files as his eyes narrowed.

The agent clicked on the file as it flashed onto the screen.

Classified

Name: Courtney Hansen

Operational status: Active sleeper agent for the SVR.

Background: At twenty she was recruited into the Red Banner Institute where she was trained weaponry skills, hand to hand combat, infiltration penetration skills and recuriting asssets to betray their country.

Last known whereabouts: Scottsdale Arizona Ageis Security and Investigation

Shit, The agent thought

All of a sudden the screen flashed on a warning as the screen went red. The agent jolted upright as he jumped to feet from the chair where he sat. Running down the corridor he looked away so that any surveillance couldn't get a glimpse of him. He knew what happened to those who betrayed the Russian security services they were taken outside and shot in theback of his head and then dumped it into an unmarked grave.

He quickly took the staircase down into the main lobby of the embassy and exited out throught the glass doors. Glancing sideways to see if any of the FSB agents came rushing out with weapons clutched in their grip.

Three seconds later FSB agents splinted out the door as the gunfire erupted and pinged all the vehicles in the parking lot. The agent with his suppressed Glock, pulling the trigger as the bullets flew out, taking out three of the agents. He ran over to his vehicle, grabbing the door as he jumped in and closed it behind him.

The agent backed up and drove out of the parking lot heading to Keirland. His eyes narrowed, slamming his fist on the dashboard above the steering wheele,he could the throbbingveins in his neck.

What it made worse was that FSB agents were probably on the Resistance payroll.Once he gave Jennifer the intel he found he knew what he had to do? It was no use going to any of thesafe houses now knowing that they would be watched by the FSB.

The traffic at this time of day was busy but not too congested with vehicles rushing back and forth. He reached into his pocket with his other hand that was free, pulling out his phone.

Jennifer burner buzzed in her pocket. She reached into her pocket and pulled it out knowing that it was her asset she clicked the accept button. 

" What did find you out about Courtney Hansen and where are you?"

"I'm on my way to Kierland right now, I' had to move quickly The FSB know that I accessed Courtney Hansen," The agent stated driving down the streets, passing by buildings,stores and restaurants.

Backed up and sped out of the parking lot heading to Kierland. Jennifer ended the conversation on her burner tossing it onto the seat across from her. Turning the street she knew that theFSB probably didn't know that their sleeper agent was dead? She had the upper hand here.

Pulled into the parking lot behind PF Changs Restaurant. Stepping out, she gripped the door handle and closed behind her. Running her thumb over the rounds in the magazine, knowing that she still had 18 rounds left. She tucked her Glock 19 behind her jacket navigating through the crowd of people strolling down the sidewalk. It would be easy enough to blend in here with all the people.

Jennifer swiftly tucked her into the pockets as she looked down strides over to the one of the benches outside of the stores to wait. Glancing at her watch on her hand, she wondered if something happened to her asset.

Just then she heard the roar of the tires pull into a parking lot. The door opened as the foreign agent stepped out fidgeting. Strolling down the sidewalk, he passed by some people talking that were paying no attention to him.

Which was good, he thought

Quickly spotted Jennifer sitting on the benches outside the stores. The foreign agent made his way over to her as he scanned the area, looking for any potential threats. After a while, he relaxed.

"She's active sleeper agent for the SVR, her cover was a security consultant for Ageis and Investigation." He said as he met her eyes.

Jennifer clenched her fist." Shit that's not good, she just tried to kill me. So I had put a round into her."

"My guesse is that she was working for the Resistance too?" The agent said as he shrugged, scratching his nose.

"That would explain the money that she got deposited in her offsshore bank account."Jennifer told the foreign agent.

The agent nodded, understanding what she was telling him,still he was uncertain he bite his lip, while his eyes still darted around. If the FSB could get to him in the embassy they could get to him here.

Jennifer studied the agent body language noticing that he had scratched his nose and shrugged when he told her the intel. So why was he so nervous? She rose up from where she was sitting her eyes narrowed in on someone stalking down the sidewalk in a hurry.

She reached behind her jacket, and withdrew her suppressed pistol,pulling the trigger as a bullet flew out in the air and split the lady's head in half before she reached for her gun. Sauntering over to the dead woman, she got down on her knees and searched her pockets finding a burner like the one the CIA agent found on Courtney Hansen.

The agent freezed staring wide eyes with his hands over his mouth. She had kept his word to him she was going to protect him, and she did. Still, The FSB or the Resistance had found him somehow? There was no way they could have known that he had met his handler here.