Fifteen

Everything seemed to be moving in slow motion, and the mass was being parted down the middle like the Red Sea. I soon came to realize that the bad guys were moved to the right and the good guys to the left. In the back, I noticed Kiera was crouching in the grass but I couldn't tell what she was looking at.

"You guys are SO LOUD!" Taylor shouted across the yard. I swear I saw the Queen smirk.

Adelyn looked like she wanted to strangle the child. "Taylor! What are you doing?"

Taylor dropped her arms, but the packs remained motionless. "I was stopping the fight. I thought that's what you wanted." Her tone was innocent, like she was trying to get away with it by saying it wasn't her idea in the first place.

Addie let out an exasperated and embarrassed sigh. "Well, yes, but not like this! We were supposed to be hiding!"

"But don't you want to know why Jacob's fighting?" She protested, her eyes wide and unblinking. "It could be about us!"

I held in a laugh. This kid was good. She knew exactly what the answer to her question was, but she was performing for the frozen shifters behind her, this way Addie would agree.

"You know, you have an audience." A timid voice said from the crowd. I recognized it as the Queen's.

Taylor spun around and Adelyn gasped. "Kalama?" Her eyes hunted through the crowd. She must've spotted her because she pointed and Taylor released one person.

The Queen bolted across the yard and threw her arms around Addie. They both had tears streaming down their faces.

"I'm so happy to see you again!" Kalama cried.

I tuned them out and focused my attention back on the crowd, searching for anyone I knew. I prayed my eyes wouldn't stumble across someone I knew, dead. There were so many bodies it was horrifying!

Finally my eyes landed on Collin and I sighed in relief. We may be having a rough time, but I was glad he hadn't died today! My eyes went back to Kiera, but I still couldn't make out what she was hunched over on the ground. I strained and strained until a little voice brought me back to the porch.

"Who are you?" Taylor asked.

A waterfall of tears poured from Kalama's eyes as she crouched down. "Taylor, I'm your mom! I've missed you so much!"

Taylor's smile was weak, but still happy. "Where's my dad then?"

When her mom pointed out a white wolf, Taylor raised her hand, setting him free from the invisible force. In a flash, the King was beside them, the wolf's eyes wet with tears. I had to look away to keep myself from crying too.

I slowly backed away from the heartfelt reunion. Of course, it was beautiful seeing them finally together, a perfect family. It made me think about what it would be like to have kids of my own. The thought of a child that I would protect and care for just as much as the Royal family made me cry a little bit harder. Maybe I was wrong about being so harsh to Collin. Kiera was right about compromising with him. He loves me, and I love him. We might not get exactly what we want, but I know we can work it out. I imagined that there would be some arguing involved, maybe not as much as Kiera and Nate, but I know you always have dislikes and opinions in any sort of relationship.

I walked back out and found a door that led me outside. I gasped at the horror of the bodies laying on the ground. I wiped my face, leaving wet streak marks on my cheeks. I looked around for a familiar face and saw Collin standing a couple yards away.