Seventeen

Today was the day. Collin got me up even thought I had been awake for the last hour. I had a hard time sleeping last night. Kato was happy to see me when we returned. He wouldn't leave my side for days. Even now as I rolled out of bed, trying not to wake him as he was curled up on the pillow next to my head. I kissed his little tiny head before I headed into the bathroom to get ready.

I'm sure Kiera had it worse when it came to sleep. She hardly slept the past few days and it made me worried. I hope she was put together a bit today.

I dressed in a simple black dress with sleeves that ended at my elbows. I braided a small piece of my hair and pulled it back with a few bobby pins. I don't really put on much makeup; I added some mascara for fun to bring out my eyes a little bit. I grabbed a pair of black heels that Trinity let me borrow and headed out the door. Collin was waiting at the bottom of the stairs finished tying his black tie to his black dress shirt and matching dress pants.

"You look lovely," he said.

I smiled at him. "And you look as handsome as ever."

He smiled at me and kissed my cheek. He grabbed my hand and we both walked to the backyard, awaiting the day we all wished wouldn't come.

Tables were set out with the food. One of it was touched as people piled in. Chairs sat in rows over under a tent that protected the sunlight from the guests and Nate's casket. It was left open so people could pay their respects to a lovely friend and father and Alpha.

Another table was set out for gifts. The table looked crowded as people placed special wrapped presents on it. I felt bad not getting Kiera anything, but I guess I was part of the family that was receiving them.

The white flowers that Kiera ordered decorated the backyard almost perfectly. I was in awe how beautiful Kiera made this place be with all the flowers she ordered. I figured she didn't want to take them down after this.

Collin squeezed my hand as he led us towards a line of people who were waiting to see Nate one last time. I left a little dizzy as we neared the line.

"Are you okay?" Collin asked. He stopped to look at me.

"Yeah," I said with a breath. "Didn't get much sleep last night." He nodded and kept walking, his hand still in mine. Luckily the line moved fast so we were able to make it to the casket quickly.

I looked down at Nate. He was dressed nicely in a suit with a white bow tie. A saw a few gifts in his coffin: a rose, a gold chain, a baseball card that appeared to be signed.

"We're we supposed to bring gifts?" I looked up at Collin. He chuckled. "No. Some people brought things that reminded them of him. It's just a nice thing to do at a funeral."

I never really been to one. Well, I attended my mother's back when she died, but there wasn't any gifts they people put in the casket with her. I do remember Dad had put her favorite flower -a lily- with her before they closed the casket and set off to bury her.

Collin pulled out a small coin from his pocket and placed it next to the Rose with Nate. "Did Nate give that to you?"

He nodded. "When we met, I bet him a quarter that he couldn't make a basket from one end of the court to the other. He didn't so he had to give up a quarter. I've kept it all these years because that's how we met. I thought it would be best to give it back."