I Have Escaped Death, Again... (Chapter One)

~Third Person P.O.V~

*Edited*

White specks floated and stretched across his vision, faint sounds of beeping and talking trying to breakthrough his eardrums. His body ached, head pounding as if someone was hitting it with a hammer. Before he could register anything a blurry face came into view, blocking the dots that were once there.

"...ku...Izu- Izuku, can you hear me?" The face cleared, revealing his best friend, Ochaco Uraraka. 

He stiffly nodded, the words were there- they just wouldn't come out, his throat closing up when he opened it to talk.

"Yeah, the doctor said it would hurt to talk the first few minutes of you being up." She said softly, running her hand through his hair gently- Uraraka was like a big sister to him more than anything.

Cautiously, he sat up wincing at the pulling and stinging pain that radiated from his lower abdomen. He went to lift his arms, seeing that his right one was in a cast, bruising aligning said arm as well as the other. Looking under the hospital gown he notices a few new scars running along his stomach, stitches holding together the fresh pink marks.

He swallowed thickly, flickering his gaze back onto the brunette he watched as a bittersweet smile formulated on her lips.

"The doctor said you got lucky enough to survive the attack- what the hell were you thinking?!" Uraraka asked, her jaw clenching.

"I- I wasn't." His voice was hoarse, cracking a few times as he spoke. "It was either face Shigaraki or let hundreds of- of civilians die. What was I supposed to do?" He defended, letting his eyes narrow into slits.

"Wait. For. Backup. We were only a few minutes away!" She huffed, sleepily rubbing the dark circles under her eyes.

"And how many people would have died in those few minutes Uraraka?" Izuku retorted.

She sighed, he was right. He was always right, there's just no use in arguing with him- because he's just going to keep doing it again and again. Izuku is the number one hero after all. An idea rose to mind, it was fairly terrible...but it seemed like the only option.

"Look," Uraraka started, lightly grabbing his free hand into hers, "I get it, a lot of people could have gotten hurt- and thanks to you they didn't."

"But?" Izuku raised.

"But, just because you're a pro doesn't mean you go headfirst into danger- especially with a wanted villain, without some type of backup! So...I think you need a partner." She cringed back at the end, knowing he wasn't going to like the idea in the slightest bit.

He let out a high pitched scoff, observing his friend as she had gone mad. "No. No way in hell am I gonna get a partner. I work better alone!" He protested, his expression hardening.

"Yeah, because you're clearly doing just fine on your own!" The brunette scoffed, motioning towards his injured body.

Izuku groaned, knowing she was right- but wasn't willing to accept it, he didn't see what the big issue was. He had been on the brink of death countless times- what is so different from the other times to make her say this?

Her gaze softened as her teeth gnawed on the bottom on her lip in deep thought. "Look, you know I wouldn't suggest this if I wasn't genuinely worried. You know that." She said. "I'll talk it over with Lida and Todoroki, have them look at all the pros reports and paperwork- try and find someone who's in need of a partner like you. Okay?"

He nodded, putting on a smile to try and ease her nerves.

"Okay...you should try and get some rest- I'll go get the doctor for you." She smiled back, patting the blanket and walking away.