Chapter Nine - Super Day won't be so super

Smith and The Avenger are the topic of today's lesson at Oceanview high school, where I'm sitting quietly in my World History classroom. Everyone in the class is trying to pretend that they're not looking at the kid with the dead mother. Me.

            Seeing if I'll cry

            Or if I'll get angry

            Or run out of the classroom like John Ramirez did last year.

            Anything that you'd expect a teenager to do when they have to sit through a history lesson about the event that claimed their parent's life. I didn't have to deal with this attention that much during most days, so sometimes I forgot about the prying eyes that would soon greet me when Super day came around.

            Super day is to celebrate the anniversary of the Great battle twelve years ago. The battle that consequently took my parents away from me all those years ago. I, of course, was too young to remember every detail, but that didn't mean that I didn't know every detail now.

            Super Day happened to be Saturday, tomorrow, but today we were going to do the Super Day lessons instead. We usually learn all about Super Day the day before Super Day, because if Super Day fell on a school day, we had school off. It was considered a national holiday.

            Smith and The Avenger's battle had lasted over four hours and destroyed almost a quarter of Empire City. The fight also rolled over into Iris City for some time as well. Iris City was adjacent to Empire City, connected to each other by a bridge that went over the river Styx, named after the one from Greek mythology.

             Every citizen who had heard of the battle going on was hiding in their house, trying to avoid being in the crossfire of the raging battle. Some say that the battle was necessary, others say that we would have been better off without either super.

            Near the end of the battle, when both supers were losing energy and blood, The Avenger made a rash decision. He flew into the air, and Smith controlled a gust of wind to follow him. They flew so far into the atmosphere that it was almost impossible to see them anymore.

            Soon after they disappeared into the sky, there was a big solar flare, the largest solar flare ever recorded in the history of the earth. Scientists immediately assumed that The Avenger had thrown Smith into the Sun and the strange DNA that made him superhuman had caused the solar flare. Of course, it was one of many explanations to the end of the great battle, but the one that made the most sense in the scheme of things.

            A couple minutes after the solar flare, an asteroid was seen falling to the earth. It landed somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, causing a small tidal wave. Scientists never found the asteroid, but it was assumed that it had been the body of The Avenger falling back to the earth, dead.

            After all, no one, not even a super, could survive a fall like that, right?

            I tried to ignore the stares of my fellow students as I listened to the lesson that we all knew by heart. Every year they gave us the same lesson over and over again. It was required for the teachers to involve Super day to their lesson in some way, which was stupid in my opinion.