Chapter 10 - A date with the hottest guy in school

"What!? You did what!?"

            "Lacey-" I try and calm my best friend down over the phone.

            "No! Answer me right now, did you or did you not say yes?"

            "Well-"

            "You said yes didn't you?" She cut me off again, "Arabella, what in the world were you thinking? He's a menace! He doesn't deserve you! You deserve so much better than him!"

            "Lacey-"

            "No, wait. If you're really doing this, then you're practically my sister, aren't you? Oh my god! This is amazing news! You two are going to get married and have a ton of kids and-"

            Now it was my turn to cut her off, "Woah, wait. Where did this come from? Weren't you just mad at me about this? And we aren't going to get married, I've barely been dating him for 48 hours."

            "Oh, I've got to go. This is so exciting! I just wait until I can bother him about this! I'll talk to you at the festival, bye!"

            And with that, my best friend in the entire world left me confused and dumbstruck. I had finally told her about Archer and I, which didn't end as I thought it would. She had gotten mad, then extremely excited about it. I shook my head, I've known this girl for so long and she can always surprise me.

            I fell onto the bed and took a deep breath. Today was my birthday. Today was also the day my mother had died at the hands of a super villain. But today, no matter what, I'd try and forget about that, I didn't want to ruin a perfectly nice day at the festival.

            I turned and looked in the mirror one last final time. I was wearing a nice blue dress, casual, with a white cardigan and my brown cowboy boots. I looked nice with my hair down and my nails painted. I looked like someone going on a date, but that was exactly what I was doing, wasn't it?

            My mother was born and raised in the south, so on days like these I'd try and show a little of her in what I wore. These cowboy boots had been hers once upon a time, but now they were mine. I wore them on days that I was reminded of her the most, like my birthday (Super Day) and her birthday as well.

            I also wore the locket she had given me as a birthday present that day. A picture of her and me were inside. Somehow she knew that I would need it one day to remember her by, as mothers always know.

            I got up from my bed and checked my watch, five minutes until Archer would come pick me up. I couldn't help but to start pacing around the room in anxiety. What if it was all a sick joke? What if-

            No, Arabella, thinking like this will get you nowhere fast.