A New Life

I stepped onto the Bridge; my senses overwhelmed at everything I was experiencing. It was better than anything I ever imagined. The lights and the sounds were mesmerising. I walked up to the first person I saw in a command uniform, deciding I should probably introduce myself. It was a woman with short brown hair. I lightly coughed and she turned around.

"Counsellor Bromley reporting for duty." I said confidently, extending my hand.

She shook my hand and said "Welcome to the Enterprise. I'm Number One. Let me show you to your seat."

She led me to one of the chairs right next to the Captains. I looked at her, shocked.

"Is everything alright?" she asked.

I nodded and replied, "I just didn't expect this at all."

She smiled and said, "Nobody ever does."

We both took our seats either side of the Captains chair. I was then able to get a good look around- it really was a marvellous feat of engineering- everything designed and crafted to perfection. I was brought out of my thoughts by a voice.

"I never got your first name Counsellor."

I faced her and said "Megan. What's yours?"

"Una."

"Nice to meet you Una." I said.

"Likewise."

I sat looking through the crew compliment and started scheduling them in for appointments to talk to me. I wanted to make sure that everyone was comfortable during this long-term mission, including the Captain. I was pulled out of my task when the boatswain call sounded. I, along with the whole bridge crew stood to attention as the Captain walked in. As soon as I saw him, my breath hitched in my throat. He was the handsomest man I had ever seen. I quickly snapped out of it. He was my senior officer- I couldn't think like that.