An ethical dilemma

Megan POV

"Captain, were being hailed by a shuttle with an insignia unknown to the Federation."

"On screen."

I watched, along with the entire bridge crew as the viewscreen crackled to life, revealing a frightened young woman with 2 children.

"You're speaking to Christopher Pike, Captain of the USS Enterprise. Is everything alright?"

"I am Lana. This is Tara and Jar. We need asylum urgently Captain."

The Captain and I looked at each other and I nodded. These people needed help and we may be the only ones that can give it to them. We turned back to the viewscreen.

"The procedure we follow is to have a hearing- to see if your request for asylum can be granted. You can come aboard our ship and stay during the process."

"Thank you, Captain." She said, relief flooding her face.

"We'll open the shuttle bay in anticipation for your arrival."

She cut off the transmission and everyone began to prepare.

"Counsellor, would you greet our guests and show them to the guest quarters?" the Captain asked.

"Yes sir." I said before walking out.

I quickly made my way to the shuttle bay to meet them. When I walked in, they still looked very afraid and on edge. Lana locked eyes with me, took a hand of each child and rushed over to me.

"My name is Counsellor Megan Bromley. Welcome to the Enterprise. Let me show you to your quarters."

They followed me to the guest area of the ship, and I led them to their designated quarters. As soon as they were settled, I went back to the bridge and carried on with my duties.

---the next day---

"Captain, we're being hailed. The shuttle has the same configuration as Lana's." Spock stated.

"Captain, we may need to be weary. They may be the reason Lana wants asylum." I suggested.

"Your concern is noticed Counsellor. On screen."

The viewscreen came to life and an angry looking man appeared.

"I am Jahl. Where is Lana, Tara and Jar?" he asked demandingly.

"They have requested asylum." The Captain replied.

"Return them to me now." he snapped.

"You may not be aware, but when a Starship Captain gets a request for asylum, there are strict procedures to follow."

"Fine. May I be a participant in these discussions?" he asked.

"I feel like you will be needed."

----

The tension in the air was palpable. Spock was representing Jahl and I was representing Lana and her children.

"Before we begin, may I remind everyone present that this is a serious situation not to be taken lightly. I expect everyone to behave respectfully throughout. Are we clear?" the Captain said.

We all nodded and the Captain turned to us.

"Lana, could you please explain why you want asylum." he said.

"My people believe that when women are no longer of any use they are sent off into slavery, where they are worked to the brink of death. Most women don't survive longer than a month."