Safe

Every inch of my body was in agony- that was all I knew as I woke up. I looked around and saw I was in sickbay-thank goodness for that. I tried to sit up, but my movement sent shooting pain all through my torso and chest. I hissed and lay back down.

"Take it easy there."

Captain Pike came into view and he placed a comforting hand on my good shoulder.

"Captain." I said quietly.

He smiled at me and asked, "How are you feeling?"

"Like my ribs have been misused as a musical instrument." I said, chuckling lightly.

This laugh sent a wave of pain through me and I hissed lightly. I looked up at the Captain and he was looking at me sympathetically.

"What are you looking at me like that for?" I asked.

He sighed, looked down and said "I tried to protect you, but I couldn't. I..."

In a moment of not thinking, I brought my hand to my shoulder and placed it over his. He looked into my eyes- pain evident in them.

"You did everything you could, and nobody will ever ask for more." I said.

He took my hand in his, squeezed it lightly and said "I'm giving you the next month off. You need your rest."

I nodded and said, "Thank you Captain."

And with that, he left. All that night, I couldnt stop thinking about him. I eventually shook myself out of it- it wouldnt be appropriate to think like that. He was my senior officer and besides, why would he want someone as damaged as me?

Captain Pike POV

I sat in my ready room, contemplating the events of the past few days. Could I have done more to protect Megan- stop her from being hurt so much? I understood she willingly jumped on the phaser. Hell, I would have done it myself, but she was quicker. I sighed and rubbed my temples as images of the incident ran through my head.

Everyone was shouting and jeering at us. I tightened my grip on Megan's waist and pulled her closer to protect her. Suddenly, she broke free of my grasp and ran towards a little girl. I then noticed the girl was holding an active phaser. I had no time to react as Megan grabbed the phaser and threw herself on the ground. The phaser went off, sending her flying through the air.

"Megan!" I shouted as I ran to her still form.

I knelt beside her, the wound on her chest seeping blood. I scooped her up into my arms and ran out of the room before anyone could stop me. As soon as I was far enough away, I carefully placed her on the ground and pulled out my hidden communicator.

"Pike to Enterprise. Medical emergency. I need an immediate transport."

"Standby Captain."

I shoved the communicator back in my pocket and picked Megan up. Before I knew it, we were back aboard the Enterprise. I didn't stop to talk to anyone as I rushed Megan to sickbay. Every now and then, I looked at her- she was so pale, and I worried that if I didn't hurry, she wouldn't make it. As soon as I arrived at sickbay, I placed her on a biobed and allowed the medical team to care for her.

I sighed- thinking about losing her sent a pain through my chest. If that was to happen, nobody on the ship would be the same- not even me.