Chapter 10: Adventures in the city

I was in the bathroom, regretting my existence. I got my period.

Oh-My-Goodnesssss. For god's sake! Why? What a nightmare! I had completely forgotten!

I left the bathroom after getting ready and closed the door slowly. Damn, will he know? Anthony looked at me and went over my body with his beautiful flashing green eyes and long pupils.

He does, damn it!

"Are you okay?"

He doesn't know...

"Y-yes... I know we should get to the capital, but..."

"If you don't feel well, we can wait, don't worry."

Damn, he knows.

"I just... need comfort, at least for this day."

He smiled slightly.

"It's okay."

I sighed and went to my backpack for pain pills. Well, it was not that bad. He probably knew way before, as there were evolved women also.

"We can go get dinner later. I'll take you to a barbecue restaurant. Is that okay with you?"

And he smiled even more.

***

We passed through the residential areas, and the sky turned violet when we reached the city center. Anthony sat on a bench and asked me to sit next to him, but I didn't. I walked over and stood in front of him.

"I was wondering something," I commented.

"Yes?"

I got closer and took his face. Since it was getting dark, I removed his sunglasses. He was staring at me with his intense big feline eyes. I tensed my lips and turned his face to the right and left. Then I made him look me in the eye again, and he smiled.

"Is something on my face?"

"I was just wondering; your hair stays the same. Doesn't it grow?" I asked.

"Yes, it does, but too slow," he emphasized.

"Oh." I slipped my fingers and stroked his cheeks with my thumbs. "And the beard?"

"It also grows slowly, but I take care of it," he replied with a slight smile. "In a few years, maybe I'll leave it alone." I took his hand to see his pointy nails. "It is a rare detail," he murmured. "It only grows like this in the hands, and this is fast."

I looked at him in surprise.

"You guys are incredible; it's as if you had been genetically programmed, or something like that, to overcome the human race. Completing everything that we lack, covering our weaknesses."

Despite everything, I felt a particular fascination for their species. I felt like a crazy scientist who was a predator fan, knowing that they were born killers. I wanted to know everything about them... About him. Our knowledge has never been so extensive.

"I don't know what was involved in the appearance of beings like you, but... You are great," I added. "Just be careful, okay?" He was staring at me. "You have to avoid fighting."

He frowned slightly and looked away.

"You ask for an impossible. If anyone wants to hurt you and manages to reach you, you'll be dead in a second. Believe me. I was trained to defend myself from a very young age." I closed my eyes, letting out a frustrated sigh. So those marks... Were they savages? What kind of society raised children to be fighters? "You don't have to fear. I'm strong," he added.