Chapter Fifteen

*Flashback to Three years ago*

As the cool autumn sun struck the local pond, the clear water only seemed to emphasize Marinette's implacable misery. She took the opportunity to take out her sketch pad and jot down a few ideas for her new designs. She needed a reason to distract her mind from everything that had just happened!

She was struggling to keep her emotions under control, but it didn't even matter anymore...

As the broken girl cautiously reached for her backpack, she felt a sharp pain shoot right through her skull. She tried to ignore it, but it was hopeless. The pain only seemed to intensify with every passing second.

With the tears slowly falling down her pink cheeks, her hand unconsciously trailed over the gold necklace that still hung around her slender neck.

She blankly stared at the bright red 'N' that hung right in the center. It was all too much to bare! Without thinking, she gripped the chain in her fist before contemplating her options for a mere second. She took in a deep breath and aggressively tore the single piece of jewelry away.

When the massive weight was finally lifted, she relaxed ever so slightly. There was no more heartache, no more pain, but most importantly, there was no more Nathanaël!

She was struggling to comprehend everything. She was nothing but kind, honest and loving towards him, but apparently that was never good enough! She was never enough...

Those thoughts were never-ending, which made the baker just want to scream out into the emotionless void that lingered in front of her. She took one final glance at the forgotten pendant before chucking it into the crystal clear water.

As the metallic object sank to the bottom of the pond, a few ripples spread out across the surface. The way the water was displaced, causing tiny waves to be created, brought back happy memories of her very first date.

The shy boy with the very mysterious turquoise eyes held onto her hand before staring deep into her eyes, and whispering 'I love you' in her ear. Those three words meant everything to her, and she believed him...

At first he was very kind and loving towards her, but that all changed when Marinette went on a two week vacation to Versailles where she met Alexandre; a very famous actor who was kind to everyone he met.

After time, the two quickly became good friends. And all was going well, until Nathanaël discovered that Alexandre had kissed his very precious girlfriend.

Even though Marinette resisted, Nathanaël still blamed her for everything.

Something changed in the redhead that day. As if a switch was instantly flipped inside his brain; he unknowingly morphed into someone unrecognizable.

He became extremely controlling and he made sure that she wasn't allowed to have any friends. Nathanaël became really insecure and he needed to minimize any potential threats!

Marinette wasn't allowed to see Alexandre ever again, and if she disobed her boyfriend, there would be terrible consequences!

At the time, the innocent girl didn't know what to do, but she was hopeful that he would change his ways. She was confident that their relationship would improve over time, but she couldn't have been more wrong...

Within a matter of days, he stopped complimenting her. His tone became harsh, and his words became empty and hurtful.

And just when Marinette thought it couldn't get any worse, his malicious words turned into physical torture. She was emotionally and physically abused by the boy she had once loved. She felt like such a fool! Why did she believe for even one second that someone would actually love her?