Chapter Sixteen

After Adrien and Marinette said their final goodbyes to their friend, Jeanne they were greeted by their very anxious teacher before climbing into the taxi.

The ride back to the hotel felt longer than in reality, because Mme Bustier couldn't seem to stop talking. She went on and on about how sorry she was for not getting to them sooner.

Adrien tried to reassure her that it was okay, but the redhead woman wasn't convinced. She was in serious trouble and there was also a huge possibility that she might even loose her job.

Marinette felt terrible for her teacher. And even though she blamed herself, the designer knew that it wasn't her fault. If Lila could have just told the truth for once in her life, none of this would have happened.

"Mme Bustier..." The blue-eyed girl hesitated for a moment, in hopes to gather the right words to say, "This isn't your fault... And nothing happened to us, so I'm sure if we just tell them the truth, it will be okay?"

She quickly adjusted her bandage so that her hair covered most of the white fabric.

Even though Marinette was trying to help reassure the distressed woman, she didn't even know if she believed it herself.

"Th... Thank you, Marinette. B... But I don't think that's a... a valid reason," she mumbled through a few sobs.

Adrien, who hadn't said anything for a while suddenly spoke up when an idea came to mind, "My father knows a very good lawyer. I can maybe ask him if he would be willing to help you-"

"That's very thoughtful, Adrien but there's no need."

"But-"

"It's okay. I've delt with worse situations than this before. So I'm sure I'll be okay," she gave them both a sad smile before turning her head to look out of the window.

When nothing but silence filled the air, the two teenagers gave each other an understanding look. They needed to fix this mess that Lila had created.

Adrien knew that the brunette hated him because he discovered the truth about who she really was, but what was her deal with Mme Bustier?

Their teacher didn't deserve this... She was the best teacher anyone could have ever ask for. He was struggling to understand why Lila would do something like this. But then again, no matter how hard he tried, he could never understand her.

***

When they eventually made it back to the hotel, Mme Bustier quickly raced up to her room to make a phone call.

She needed to inform the school that the two missing students were found and that they were safe. Her entire body was shaking with anxiety, but she knew that this was a very serious matter.

And even though she would probably loose her job, she was just greatful that her students were here now and nothing had happened to them.

When their kind teacher was no longer in their field of vision, Marinette and Adrien merely glanced at each other before walking into the large building.

Now that they were momentarily alone, the blond felt a little awkward. He didn't know what to say, but he knew that he wanted to say something; anything at all.

"I... Uh..." He mumbled, while nervously rubbing the back of his neck.

'Why is this so difficult?'

He couldn't seem to find the right words to say, and that really frustrated him. With his hands still trembling, he tried to hide the blush that was covering his cheeks.